on trial: makeup edition #3

31.10.14

You know those bits of makeup that just sit around the first couple weeks they're in your collection? It's not like you're not aware you bought them, nor do they not excite you; it's just, you never got around to using them. Whether you've been distracted by some other new bits, or you've just been sticking to a routine with the fail-proof products. Yeah, we've all been there. The pictured three are of the same situation, but I'm finally ripping open the packaging and putting them on trial. 

I never gave the Natural Collection stands much glimpse. Call me a snob, but I was always skeptical about the quality of the products - I mean with that price point? Ppsh! I've been wanting to switch up my mascaras because, well, I'm getting bored with the ones that I have. #firstworldproblems. I was contemplating to pick up the L'Oreal Miss Manga again as I was craving for a more natural fluttery lashes look. But then one night, I got a really excited text from a friend that only hordes mascaras and eyeliners. She was gushing over how gorgeous the Natural Collection Mascaras are - she has the stereotypical Asian lashes, short and straight. So if they worked for her, then that was something. The very next day, I found myself in a Boots and grabbing the Lash Length Mascara (£1.99) and the Lash Definition Mascara (£1.99). As if they weren't already a bargain enough, they were on sale for 2 for £3.50 - so even if they turned out to be blah, it wouldn't be anything to cry over. 

I've tried them a couple times, not enough to give a full verdict but they're definitely a surprise. I haven't had any smudging problems with them at all - that's not something I can say for a lot of mascaras with a much higher price point. These aren't dramatic mascaras, but they're ridiculously good for the price point and what I would reach for to get really pretty lashes on an everyday basis.
 
theBalm Nude'tude (£26.50) has been around for a while now, and I've been tempted a couple times with the hype surrounding it. I knew I had to seize the opportunity when Birchbox was offering this as a gift for new subscribers. I've only used it a handful of times, but I can tell you that the quality of these shadows are insane. Even the matte shades are gorgeous. But there's one thing that's bothering me is the lack of a cream shadow for an all over shade. And there's the slight problem that the crooked shades are driving me crazy - although I suppose I'll get used to it over time. I'm yet to from a full opinion on this, but a quick summary? I get the hype and it definitely lives up to it, but it's not the perfect palette. 

I'm still playing around with these bits and bobs so let me know if you want a review on anything. What makeup products are you putting on trial lately? 
With Love, 
Daphne x

18 comments