slightly disappointing.

3.10.14

Ah, but if all things lived up to expectations and nothing disappointed, would we truly appreciate the good? Too philosophical? My point is, not everything can be amazing, some things just sadly, fall short. The same falls to the abundant amount of beauty products I purchase and own. Some people think of these as negative posts, the let downs, but for me? I'd like to think of it as 'a form of appreciating the products I'm in love with' or as a guide to those of you out there that are on the brink of trying these finds. 

I remember how excited I was when I first heard about the summer release from the Body Shop. Madly in love with the satsuma line from the brand and soon to be going back to a tropical island with the average summer temperature of 35 degrees, I had high hopes for the cooling sensation that The Body Shop Body Sorbet (£8) claimed to have if it was stored in the fridge. But alas, disappointment comes when hopes are high. While i love the tube packaging, the texture of the product was something I couldn't come to grips with. It was grainy and almost chunky, there was a cooling sensation but throwing my usual body lotion in the fridge would also have the same sensation. Overall, there wasn't anything particularly special about the claims and I would always feel like I forgot to rinse after exfoliating when I slater on this product. 

I remember falling in love with Maybelline The Rocket Waterproof Mascara (£7.99) like every other person when it was first released last year. I don't know if it was because I was a waterproof mascara novice or because I was young(er) and easily convinced that I could be in love with an inanimate object. Whatever the reason, fast forward 12 months, I've repurchased and there's just nothing spectacular about it. Yes, it'll hold a curl; yes, it lengthens and adds volume. But there's nothing special about it. It's just another mediocre mascara that has the outstanding ability when it comes to impossible removal. So I guess if you were looking for lashes that would be intact when you're dancing in the rain, this is your best friend. 

Last but not least, I remember going from shop to shop several months back when a magazine had the Clinique High Impact Mascara (£17.50) as a freebie. There's always been hype around this mascara and I had considered purchasing it several times when I was feeling particularly weak. But as a person that's already cringing at the price tag of L'Oreal mascaras, I held back on splurging on one I had to buy at counters. A self pat on the back for the resistance as again, there was nothing mind-blowing about this infamous offer. It's not bad and the results are beautiful fluttery every day lashes - it's just not high impact. Also the formula smudges on me after a couple hours, making me look like I deliberately didn't cover up my dark circles in the morning. Not cool. 

It's not often I get too disappointed by products because as stupid as this sounds, I rarely go in buying a product with high hopes. I tend to try and keep myself quite level-headed as to later justify an otherwise regrettable purchase. I know, I know, I live in denial and I'm good at it. Not the best way to live life, I know, but until I find financial stability and overcome life responsibilities, this is the way to go. 

Do you like any of the products that have let me down and have any products disappointed you lately? 
With Love, 
Daphne x

18 comments