grad school face.

22.10.14

Ever since I started wearing makeup, I don't think I've settled for anything resembling a 'routine'. Most often, I'd get restless and want to use everything. There have been short intervals of a routine when life was too busy sucking brain power and left me too uninspired for anything creative in the makeup world, but it'd rarely be longer than a week. However, ever since starting my masters degree more than two weeks ago, I've been too occupied over not breaking down over the workload and every weekday morning has resembled more or less the same zombie 'slap and go' routine. 

Creating a blank canvas is too much on a daily basis. I settle for a lightweight base that'll more or less cover up my fading acne scars while perking up my skin a bit. The three I've been rotating between and sometimes mixing together are the Tarte Amazonian Clay Airbrush Foundation ($36) (review), NARS Tinted Moisturizer (£29), or the Jouer Matte Moisture Tint (£29). The thing these three have in common is that they're all quick to apply and wear really well throughout the day. 

Concealing is something that I used to be obsessed with, but with a couple too many blemish scars that can't be tamed and not enough energy to wrangle with them on a daily basis, I only aim for the huge ones that are somehow always located at the bridge of my nose. But those dark under eye tell tale circles are a whole other story. Fake it till you make it is a rule I live by, and that goes the same for the physical representation of stress and sleep deprivation. No matter what concealer I use, the Bobbi Brown Corrector (£19) is a must. While I'm a brush user when it comes to a base, but I find concealer looks much better when finger-blended, so on the days that I'm in auto-pilot, the Bobbi Brown Creamy Concealer Kit (£24) is the go-to. Especially as it saves me from rummaging around for my powder compact as the sheer powder included is dreamy. 

A quick stipple of a natural hued blush like Rimmel Santa Rose (£3.99) or Tarte Exposed ($26) to perk up the complexion, and I'm looking less like the ill and more like I could make it to school without fainting. Eyebrows are something I find to immediately add some composure to the face. Interesting how it's almost always hair that we end up fussing over, isn't it? A quick fill in with the Topshop Brow Pencil (£6) and I'm looking like I've put 10 times the effort than I actually did. 

Eyes are a thing that I can't skimp on. But it doesn't mean that I'm going all out either. Usually completed with one brush, a soft all over the lid shade accompanied with a matte brown crease is the 30-second eyeshadow look I pull on a daily basis. And just because I like a bit more definition on the eyes, on the days when I have three extra minutes, I end up flicking my way to sophistication with the Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Liner (£13). But if I only have 10 seconds, then it's the smudging out the trusty Rimmel Waterproof Kohl Kajal in Bronze (£3.99) on the outer corner and the lower lash line. Also to further that "I got more sleep and less stress than I look like" statement, a nude eyeliner in the waterline before a curling of the lashes coated with fanned out lashes is utilized. 

I realize that because of my rambling, it sounds like a lot. But I've got this routine down to just under 10 minutes. And that's counting in the time I'm scrambling to put my notes in my bag while fanning my burnt tongue when gulping down that freshly brewed coffee. What does your morning makeup routine look like? 
Also guys???? HELP. I'm losing inspiration for blogging lately so leave comments on what kind of posts you'd be interested in please. Help a stressed out girl out. I'll give you a virtual triple chocolate brownie as a token of my thanks. 
With Love, 
Daphne x

12 comments