orange you glad it's spring?

28.3.14

There are colors that I wear year round, and then there are the seasonal hues. Oranges fall into the later category as they look as out of place in moody December as a talking banana in a corporate building. Although recent temperature has been weirdly dropping, the sun and month has justified dusting off these oranges hues.

Orange definitely isn't as easy to wear as a pink, but in the process of finding the perfect oranges, other than finding the shade that's right for you, I find the most important part is you definitely have to conceal the redness. Which, for me, is terribly hard as I have acne parties happening on my face all the darn time. But extra time with that concealer definitely pays off as I love me a orange lip! I've chosen my 3 favorites from the stash, from entry level to hard core, to try and help you guys out here. 
[left to right: NYX Haute Melon | Revlon JBKBS in Rendezvous | Bobbi Brown Creamy Matte Lip Color in Jenna] 

NYX Haute Melon*
: more of a pinky-coral and slightly less orange, this is perfect for those that are trying to ease into the brights but timid of the in-your-face effect. It's a gorgeous, semi-opaque lipstick that can waver more pink or more bright depending on your natural lip color. But because it's slightly creamy, the wear time isn't that great. Mine lasted 3 hours before I had to reapply, but on the good side, it fades beautifully and evenly. 

Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stains in Rendezvous: Have I gone on enough about the original Revlon lip crayons? A straight up orange, but on the sheer side, Rendezvous is the shade for those that want to try out the orange trend but don't know where to start. Because it's so sheer, it works with the natural lip color and won't be such a straight up orange with wear. It was one of my most used shades last summer and the minty scent is a love for the days when it's starting to get hot outside. 

Bobbi Brown Creamy Matte Lip Color in Jenna: This definitely isn't for the faint hearted. A tomato orange, this is about as close to a red lip as I'll get (in the foreseeable future, that is). Opaque with one swipe, the wear time for this Bobbi Brown offering is unbelievable! But of course, being a matte lipstick, a good scrub and a coat of lip balm is definitely a must. I'm wearing it in the photo above, and it's definitely a great way to spice up a plain outfit with simple makeup. 

While I love the winter weather (call me weird), I can't wait for spring and summer to roll around so I can finally dig out the oranges and not feel out of place. What do you think about the orange trend? And let me know what your favorite orange lip colors are!
post signature

30 comments