50 Shades of Taupe

14.3.14

[Maybelline Eyestudio Mono in Iced Fudge | Maybelline Color Tattoo in Permanent Taupe | MAC Satin Taupe | L'Oreal Infallable Eyeshadow in Taupe Royal | Maybelline Eyestudio Mono in Silken Taupe | Benefit Creaseless Cream Shadow in Birthday Suit | Rimmel Scandaleyes Eyeshadow Paint in Rich Russet]

I never thought I was a taupe person. For the longest time, I was convinced that the bronzey, golden colors were my true match. And then I had an affair with MAC Satin Taupe and well, I guess you can say the collection grew since then.

I had the Benefit Creaseless Cream Shadow in Birthday Suit for months before I finally got around to appreciating it. It's described more as a brown shade, but when I wear it on the lids, it's always more cool toned than it looks in the pan. Another shade that's photographing more brown than taupe is the Rimmel Scandaleyes Shadow Paint in Rich Russet. I wasn't convinced by the liquid eyeshadow formula for the longest time, even though everyone kept raving about it. But after my friend made me use hers, I came back with two of these in my possession less than 24 hours later. I know, I'm easily persuaded. But honestly, this liquid shadow is everything the hype about and more. I'm not a fan of using fingers so after applying this with the doe-foot applicator, I blend out the edges with a MAC 217 and go on with my frolicking around. This will stay put for the rest of the day.

While I can wear the previous two taupes on its own or as a base, the Maybelline Color Tattoo in Permanent Taupe is one that I'm only going to use as a base. The matte finish of this drugstore cream shadow results in me looking like I'm recovering from a punch to the eye when I wear this on its own. However, this alone on the lash line creates a really natural shadow, perfect for those low maintenance days. 

Moving away from the creams and liquids and back to the formula that I'm best buddies with. I don't usually buy single shadows from the drugstore as most I've tried were really disappointing, but the Maybelline Eyestudio Mono Shadows in Iced Fudge and Silken Taupe are affordable and of high quality. They're both shadows that look like they've come out of the Naked 2 palette; the pigmentation, texture and longevity of these shadows are definitely to par with the Urban Decay offering. Last but not least, the youngest newbie in the taupe collection is the L'Oreal Infallable Eyeshadow in Royal Taupe. This pressed pigment sadly, isn't available in the UK, but if you can get your hands on it, it's definitely a shade to get. The darkest taupe of the bunch, this can definitely be sheered out and worn on its own for a daytime smokey look, or built up/used wet for a stronger night time look. I need to shake the grandma out of me and get out more to be able to rock that gorgeous dark look. 
post signature

23 comments