Summer Edit Part 1: Makeup

5.6.13

With Summer hitting hard, there are makeup products that are stashed away while others are brought out to play. 

While it was all about radiance primers in the colder months, I like to opt for a more mattifying primer when summer comes around. Benefit's POREfessional is a long time love for me. It's the primer that I always go back to in summer months. It helps a lot with oil control and visually refines the size of my pores upon application. 
Summer is when I like to bring out the light foundations to mainly even out my skin tone, rather than looking for coverage. I like to choose foundations that have SPF. But not all do, so instead of layering, I like to mix my sunscreen into my foundation. Bourjois Radiance Revealed Healthy Mix is a good everyday summer foundation. If I'm having a great skin day, I reach for Revlon Nearly Naked Foundation, this one has a low SPF 15. If I'm not going to be outside too long, I usually wear it alone; but if I'm going to be outside quite a while, I still do mix my sunscreen into this foundation. A higher-end choice I'm loving at the moment is Estee Lauder's Double Wear Light. I currently only have a sample I got from Nordstorm but I'm already thinking of buying the full size. While it doesn't have SPF, it feels surprisingly light on the skin for the coverage it has. Plus, it lasts for a ridiculous amount of time in the summer without a primer or setting. 
Concealer is a must for me, especially with the sheerer foundations for summer. I tend to ditch the heavier pot concealers for a liquid concealer. My current favorite is the Maybelline Fit Me Concealer.
Sun protection isn't just for the face and body. While it seems weird to apply sunscreen to my lips, I just make sure my summer lip balms have SPF protection. EOS lip blams are cute, smell great and even better, has SPF protection! 
I don't usually wear eyeliner in the summer months. Instead I just use mascara to define the lash line or run a bit of eyeshadow along the lash line for a softer effect. 
Bronzers scream summer! While I love my winter highlighters, I tend to trade those in for bronzers in summer months. Too Faced Sun Bunny is my current favorite but they also have a matte bronzer (Chocolate Soiel) and a ligher one with a highlight (Snow Bunny). 
I'm hesitant with powder products when I know I'm going to be sweating when it's humid and hot outside. Cream blushes and setting sprays are things I tend to reach for during my summer routine. 
I haven't tried a lot of cream blushes but of all the ones I've tried, NYX Cream Blush and Revlon Photoready Cream Blush are ones I love. Urban Decay all nighter setting spray is what I've been reaching for the past weeks to finish off my makeup. 

I like to bring out the rich and brights in the summer. While some colors like bright blue and turquoises can be brought out in the spring, I tend to wear them more in the summer as they do seem more suitable when school's not an everyday thing. As I don't usually wear eyeliner on a day to day basis in summer, I sometimes like to add a pop of color by using these brights on the upper lash line. I skip lining the lower lash line as they usually melt faster than a popsicle under the sun. I like to apply a translucent powder over the top of the eyeliner, just to keep it in place. My favorites are NYX Long Lasting Eyeliner and Laura Mercier's caviar color stick because they're crazy pigmented and can hold under the heat. 
Corals are great for the summer - they aren't as overbearing in heat as oranges but are more spunky than pinks. While Tarte 12-Hour Amazonian Blush is a powder product, it only needs a small amount to have color and doesn't have that powder feeling upon application. I'm not a big fan of lipsticks as they tend to get all yucky and messy in the heat. I turn to Revlon Just Bitten Balm Stain for color, plus they have a slightly minty tinge that's always good in summer months. 

What are your makeup transitions from Spring to Summer? 

10 comments