14 lessons 2014 taught me

30.12.14

I started 2014 as one person and ended it as another. It's scary how much has changed in the span of twelve months - I'm sure the same could be said for every one of us. We've all gone through things and have changed and grown, mostly without consciously realizing. I've said this a couple times before, and I'll say this again, I've changed so much in the past year but I'm still the same person. Here are 14 lessons that I've learned throughout the journey. 


1. Know what you love, what you enjoy and that's the best starting point you can have when it comes to figuring out the next step.

2. Figure out what you want before you ask another person for anything. 

3. Not knowing how to cry doesn't make you weird. 

4. Some people will mean more to you than you could ever imagine.

5. People leave, and that's okay. Even the really important ones - but the ones that really matter will find a way to stay. Even if they're countries away, they'll still be with you every step of the way. 

6. The things that terrify you are usually worth trying. 

7. You don't always have to be the smartest person in the room. 

8. Mingle. Different people have different stories and life perspectives. 

9. Always appreciate the drama-free quiet days. 

10. Taking photos is a great way to freeze the moments, but the best memories are experienced and happen when you're not behind the lens. 

11. Everything will be okay - even if it seems like you're groundhogging your way to the center of the Earth and the deepest of all pits. 

12. Just because you can't pinpoint and explain what you're feeling, doesn't make it any less real. 

13. Fake it till you make it when you're lacking confidence - also, red lipstick helps. A lot. 

14. It's okay to fail. Just remember to get back up. There will be less than elegant steps when trying to regain your footing, but heads up, shoulders back, and go about your way to conquering the world. 

(oh man, it's like I have a wicked witch nose in this photo...)
I don't think I'd be able to pick which lesson was the most life-changing one, but there's one that I definitely forgot to put in the list, and probably the most important - remember to stock up on good quality chocolate. 
What are some of the lessons you learned in the past 365 days? 
With Love, 
Daphne x

20 comments