the beauty blender disaster

16.12.14

I'll be honest with you, like serious honest - I feel cheated on. There's no worse feeling. It's like finally transporting a carton of eggs home from the grocery store, only to drop them when you're about to put them in the fridge. After years of hmm-ing and ahh-ing over the Beauty Blender, I finally decided to cave to the hype around it. 

Before purchasing, I thought that this was another one of those marketing schemes - I mean, really, how outstanding could a sponge be? It's pretty, it's pink, it's egg-shaped, but it's just an outrageously priced sponge. That was what I thought - and then I tried it out. 

It took me a couple weeks, but I was finally convinced that this was probably the best beauty tool out there. Sure, there was the slight downfall of using a bit more product and taking up more time. But the finished look was worth it - it was always natural looking no matter how heavy-handed I'd be while in my morning grogginess state. I was convinced that I was going to be repurchasing this once I decided that my current sponge was past the hygienic stage. 

But fast forward four months and a couple cups of coffee in one particular morning. I was about to stab my beauty blender into my foundation as usual when - no, it's couldn't be. I stuck the beauty blender in my face, desperately wishing my eyes were playing tricks on me. But no, there were black spots dotted all over my beauty blender. I've lived in the humid tropics long enough to know what mold spots look like and as much as I wanted to deny it, there were signs of molding on my Beauty Blender. 

I chucked my pink egg sponge for a brush that day, and decided to let the sponge dry down to double check that my eyes weren't playing a cruel trick on me. Fast forward several days, and yes, there were faint dalmatian spots throughout the sponge, especially concentrated at the base of the sponge. 

I'm not sure how mold came to be on the sponge as I've always let my beauty blender dry in open space and would constantly rotate the angle of it to make sure that there wouldn't be constant dampness in one area. 

It's such a shame as the Beauty Blender was truly splendid, but for the price? A four-month lifespan wasn't what I expected - who knows, maybe the mold had started growing before I even realized. For those of you that are looking to buy a Beauty Blender, or even if you have one, this is just a heads up to what might happen. It's still a magnificent sponge and if I had more moving space with my funds, I would definitely pick it up again. 

Have you ever had this kind of trouble with your BB or any other kind of sponge? 

With Love, 
Daphne x

29 comments