conceal don't feel.

9.12.14

Rolling the clock back to my teenage years, I could be surviving on 4 hours of sleep per night and still not be plagued with dark circles. Fast forward to now, I'm missing how healthy the young body is as I'm managing to get seven hours of sleep but the darkness of those under eye pesks are darker than the sky on a new moon. What's worse? My under eye circles seem to have their own little black hole as they seem to suck out the concealer after a couple hours. It took me a while, but I've finally found a way to camouflage the perpetual darkness while counteracting the blackhole. 


Applying some eye primer to the under eye area not only smoothes out those pesky fine lines and stops the concealer from creasing, the reason I'm a huge believer in this extra step is because it does increase the staying time of my concealer. 

After prepping, comes the actual concealing part. For those that have made those crepe-layered cakes that are ridiculously good, the following process is kinda like that - thin layers piled on top of each other to create the end result. Although I wouldn't advise adding nutella and strawberries between the layers. 

I first apply a thin layer of the Maybelline Eraser Eye Concealer (£7.99) and blend it out with a damp sponge before I apply foundation.  The coverage of this concealer isn't too bad and it's brightening, but this is one of those products that does not have the ability to withstand the great blackhole under my eyes at all. So I mainly have this just to even out the area under my eyes so I won't be tempted to apply massive amounts of foundation/concealer there in the following steps. 

After applying foundation and coming back to the concealing process. I use my finger to blend in a thin layer of the Bobbi Brown Corrector (£19). I don't think a week goes by without me talking about my trusty sidekick. This is one of those products that I'll perpetually have in my makeup bag no matter where I go. The corrector counteracts the blue/purple veins using the whole colour wheel theory, so most importantly, applying this under any other concealer avoids that greyish tint that comes with a concealer that isn't high overage enough. 

But that said, the NARS Creamy Concealer (£22) is definitely a high coverage offering that lives up to the reputation. This is one of the concealer offerings that I find to better stand up against time and won't be sucked away with time. I place a three dots under my eye, first blend it out with my finger before going in with a damp sponge. 

Now that the under eye circles are more or less concealed, I like to go in with an extra step to brighten up that area. Focusing the L'Oreal Lumi Magique Concealer (£8.49) at the inner corners, a generous amount of this is then blended out with a damp sponge to make sure there isn't too much of excess product.

Lastly, setting the area is crucial. I like to use a transparent powder as opposed to a coloured one in the area as it just looks better. Any finely milled powder is fine, but I've been reaching for my Soap and Glory One Heck of a Blot (£12) and pressing it into the area with a fluffy brush. 

After all those steps, I'll at least be looking less like I'm plagued with illness for the rest of the day. Are you also suffering from under eye darkness, what are your favourite products for counteracting it? 
With Love, 
Daphne x

10 comments