the nude, the bright, the red.

5.12.14

Uh, so those of you that are going to venture into this post, I should probably post a warning that you will be tired of my face when you're done reading. I never know why skin is always at its worst when I'm decide to make face files on the blog - but that's not entirely the point for this post. I'm a sucker for a good lip colour as it can instantly transform the same simple winged-liner look - as demonstrated below. 

Also, I do realize how tired I look in the pictures. 

the nude
Can we just ignore how weird and awkward I look in this photo? It wasn't until a couple months back did I get on the nude trend - it's such a classic, low maintenance look. Probably one of the most versatile look of the three - it's can be jazzed up with a dark smoky eye, or do what I do (add a bit more blush though) for a low-key everyday look. I personally find that nudes are probably the most personal of the three and definitely requires a good try on before you invest in the more expensive options. 

My pick: Chanel Boy, Rimmel Notting Hill Nude  
Lusting over: Charlotte Tilbury Lip Cheat in Pillow Talk
the bright
Ah, my long time friend. This was the option I dived right into when I got into lip colours last year. Depending on how bright the lipstick is, it can go from fun daytime look to full-blown STARE AT HOW PRETTY MY LIPS ARE night out look - although we all know I'm plopped in front of my computer by 7pm.  Plus, this is my favourite way to look put together as the rest of the makeup is kept to a minimum while I just spend a good minute or two trying to fix the shape of my lip colour as I don't even own a lip brush. 

My pick: MAC All Fired Up, Rimmel Colour Rush Balm in Rumour Has It 
Lusting over: MAC Relentlessly Red, NARS Audacious Lipstick in Vera  
the red
Ah, you daunting classic. I've always loved the red lip look on other people, and one of my best friends only wears red lipstick. So while I was terrified of how I was able to pull off the classic shade, it was only a matter of time before I got sucked into this whirlpool. Now? I'm absolutely in love with this look. I love a sheerer red on days when I want to look more put together and a bold red on coffee dates with my girls on the weekend. 

My pick: NARS Dragon Girl, Revlon Fire and Ice 
Lusting over: MAC Ruby Woo, NARS Audacious Lipstick in Annabella
 



Lip options are definitely the quickest way to change up a look. Plus, there's literally hundreds of options out there. I mean, even my mum who doesn't wear makeup has at least half a dozen of lip colours. I'm not telling you to go out and buy the whole makeup department, but hey, keep a couple of options on hand. 

The lesson learned from this post? The same makeup for a red/bold lip cannot be used on a nude lip. Well, it can, but it's just going to look...too nude and not balanced enough. 

Also, I know, the lighting is entirely off in this post. SOBS. 
With Love, 
Daphne x

20 comments