a christmas party face

19.12.14

I never know how to take photos of eye looks. Someone teach me. I've been wearing more of a bold lip lately, but when I attended a Christmas Party last week, I decided that the continuing glasses of wine would probably be better off if I wore a lower maintenance lip paired with a smoky eye. I'll leave out the details, but let's just say that I sent out a couple of apologetic texts the next morning. It wasn't particularly shameful, it was just...cringe-worthy texts that might have left the reciprocant full of question marks and more. One of them involved octopuses and penguins.
Hopefully you can tell from the photos, but it was a darker smoky eye that looks more dramatic in person, but kept it pretty wearable in real life and not make people wonder if you wandered away from a stage set. I wanted to have a brown based look, but with a tint of red undertones. I used the shade Bare - a cream colour, from the Stila In the Light Palette all over the lid to even things out before going in the crease with Bliss to map out the line. I went in with Makeup Geek Cocoa Bear to darken the crease and bring out the red. The outer corner was a mix of Cocoa Bear, Sandstone (from the Stila in the Light Palette) and Makeup Geek Country Girl to bring out the richness. Sunset -a gorgeous bronze-red shade from the Stila Palette was pressed into the center of the lid before making sure the edges were blended out. I lined the top of my eyes with a black liner and smudged some bronze eyeliner in the lower lash line before applying a generous coat of mascara. 

Blending is key when it comes to any smoky eye, also save yourself the trouble of trying to clean up the fall out by applying your eyeshadow first. Don't go through the hassle I went through. Don't worry if the look doesn't look complete or just downright messy before complete, chances are with enough blending, eyeliner, and a heck load of mascara later, it'll turn out fine. 

I'm a lover of a bold lip, but when I'm going to be munching and drinking enough to send out texts that scream "a tipsy nerd", well, then I'm opting for the mysterious smoky eye. What look have you been wearing for the parties this season?

With Love, 
Daphne x

Rest of the makeup:
L'Oreal Nude Magique Eau De Tint
Make Up For Ever Full Coverage Concealer
Maybelline Eraser Concealer
Bobbi Brown Corrector
L'Oreal Lumi Magique
Soap & Glory One Heck of a Blot Powder
theBalm Mary Lou-Manizer
NYX Powder Blush in Taupe
Tarte Amazonian Clay Blush in Exposed
Etude House Brow Drawing Pencil 
Chanel Rouge Coco Shine in Boy

17 comments