[the hijack] the summer essentials

10.6.14

I've let some of my favourite people hijack the blog this week while I'm busy trying not to die under exams. I'm pretty sure you guys are already familiar with Jaye as I talk about her too often. An absolute sweetheart that has a makeup collection to drool for and a blog that's amazing beyond comprehension, she's taking over today with her favourite summer essentials. Now, I'll leave it to her while I go back to my hermit hole and do some last minute cramming. -Daphne



With Summer fast approaching, I’ve been getting far too overexcited about swapping out my beauty stash for Summer-themed products. This is my idea of a fun evening in guys, a bottle of Pinot, a bar of Galaxy and a beauty cupboard shakeup. Sad isn’t it. So when Daphne asked me to guest post, this was the first thing that popped into my mind, mostly because I’m pretty sure that all my readers are sick of hearing about these products! 

So first off, I’m currently COMPLETELY addicted to the Soap and Glory Sugar Crush Body Wash. The water in London is super hard and leaves your skin feeling super dry, but this is so moisturising that it completely counteracts it, and leaves my skin feeling soft and hydrated. The smell is what makes it so Summer appropriate, it’s a gorgeous fresh sweet lime scent, and using this in the morning makes me feel so refreshed and summery! 

When the weather is warm, the last thing I want to do is spend ages with heat tools styling my hair, so I tend to rely on just a few spritzes of the Bumble and Bumble Thickening Spray into my damp hair, and then I’ll either let it dry naturally, or blow dry it on a high, cool setting. This leaves my hair looking naturally beachy, without being crunchy or overstyled. Easiest hairdo ever! 

There will be no prizes for guessing my favourite summer scent, it’s a total blogger favourite, the Estee Lauder Bronze Goddess Eau de Fraiche. This literally smells like sea, sand, suncream and Pina Coladas in a bottle, can you imagine anything better?! Just one spritz of this makes me think I’m lead on a tropical beach somewhere, not on the stuffy underground. Almost. 

My skin likes to up the oily during the Summer, but it still needs to be kept hydrated. The only moisturiser I’ve found for the mornings that doesn’t make my makeup slide off is the Origins Ginzing Moisturiser. This is more of a gel than a cream, it’s incredibly lightweight and it sinks into the skin almost immediately, leaving no residue but really hydrating the skin. Plus it smells like oranges. Win. 

Makeup wise, during the Summer I keep it pretty simple. I love the L’Oreal True Match foundation, a medium coverage foundation with a bit of natural glow to it. This feels super light on the skin, and looks incredibly natural. I tend to top this off with a dusting of the Soap and Glory One Heck of a Blot Setting Powder, which adds no coverage, but takes away any shine in the T-Zone, and helps my foundation stay in place longer. 

When it comes to Summer, I’m all about cream blushes. Right now my favourite is the Josie Maran Argan Infinity Creamy Cheek and Lip Oil in Limitless Pink, which when patted into the cheeks just gives a gorgeous natural flush to the skin, and stays put all day. 

I keep eyes super simple, and just go for a wash of the Mac Paint Pot in Rubenesque on the lids. This is just a pretty peachy champagne cream shadow that makes your eyes look ‘done’ with minimal effort. 

I’m all about sheer lipsticks for Summer, adding a pop of colour subtley, since I’m totally scared of bold lip colours. My favourite are the Bobbi Brown Sheer Lip Colours, in particular the shades Pink Flush, Tutu and Rosy, which I know Daphne loves too! 

I like to set it all in with the Urban Decay All Nighter Setting Spray, which just holds everything in place all day, no matter how hot it gets! 


There are so many more products I could mention, but I think I’ve talked your ears off long enough! What are your favourite Summer beauty products?

9 comments