a slight brow obsession

18.6.14

Eyebrows are the bane of my existence. I ignored them for ages, never believing that a trim of the bushy hairs on my face could make a difference. But they're like the frame for the Mona Lisa: without, it's still great, but with it, the painting is complete. Now I'm not saying my face is great, but well groomed brows definitely make it a lot better than what it originally was. 

The Newbie
I started out my brow quest with powder as it was a lot more forgiving and easier to smear away with fingers. MAC Mystery (£15) has been my pick for the past several months. It's the perfect shade for my brows as it's not too warm, but not too ashy at the same time. There are a lot of brow palettes out there that are really good, but if you just want that one perfect shadow, go to MAC, they'll have everything you need. 

The Low Maintenance
You can't go wrong with the Maybelline Brow Drama Sculpting Mascara (£4.99). It's a coloured brow gel, that will add some definition and colour to your brows and not dry crispy. While I love my big, bold brows, there are days when I just need a quick three second fix for the brows. You know those days when you're just lounging in your pajamas and suddenly your flatmates invites friends over? Yeah. I can't be bothered to do the full face, but I will make sure eyebrows are on point. 

The Cult Love
I didn't want to give in to the Anastasia Brow Wiz (£15.50), but I finally caved into this when my last brow pencil had it's last sharpen. Now, I don't believe in love at first sight, but it was momentarily challenged the first time I used it. I didn't think a brow pencil could wow me, especially when it came to this little one. It was hyped up and expensive for what was essentially a pencil. Or so I thought. The colour is on point, the strokes are natural but defining. You almost feel like you're not really filling in your brows, but when you step back, BAM, natural looking bold brows. It is worth the hype (and the price tag). 

The Innovative Amazing One
Ah - how many times can I sing praises for the Anastasia Dipbrow Pomade (£15). In loose terms, this is like a gel liner for your eyebrows. Like the Brow Wiz, this counterpart from the same brand also is amazing in terms of filling in your brows without you even realizing it. With a light hand, a well defined brow is done within seconds - well, that is after months of practice. It does take a while to get the hang of, but waterproof and won't bulge throughout the day? Yes please. I'd say if you were just going to use it at home, then get this rather than the pencil as you get a bigger bang for your buck with this pot of gold.

The Tools
You have your tweezers and stencils and that shebang, but today, I'm talking about the brushes only. Usually paired with MAC Mystery, the stiff bristles Bobbi Brown Eyebrow Brush (£22) instantly gives me a structured, bold, Lily Colins-esque brows. Of all the angled brushes I've tried, this one is the best for the defined brow.
On the other hand, if you want a softer but still defined brow, then the Louise Young Angled Brow Brush LY37 (£9) is the best one. It's a tiny brush that allows one to really go in and paint on the strokes. This is my favourite to pair with the Anastasia Dipbrow Pomade as, like I said, gives you amazing eyebrows while not realizing.


Eyebrows are easily neglected, but once noticed, I haven't yet met a person that decides 'brows are just not my thing'. If you don't fill/shape/tidy your brows, I'm nudging you to. You don't look back, and you're welcome in advance.
post signature

19 comments