summer lips

16.6.14

As the rest of the face makeup melts off in heat, lipstick seems to be the way to go for a put-together look. Gone are the cool-toned pinks as the corals and oranges come out to play. I tend to wear a bolder lip in the summer as I don't have to go to class. I always think wearing a bold orange lip to class is just out of place, like it's not serious enough to be academic. And the fact that I'm picking my lip under class stress doesn't help either. 

Corals make up the majority of my summer lip display. MAC See Sheer (£15) was the one that started my coral obsession. It's a pinkish, slightly brownish, coral that's perfect for everyday wear. It's a great one for people just wanting to get into the warmer toned popular summer colour as the formula makes it easy to wear while the colour is slight enough to be bright, but muted enough to not be out of one's comfort zone. 

Another MAC offering, Crosswires (£15) is almost a cool-toned coral. There's almost a retro-vibe to this colour, like something the young ladies of the 1950s would wear. It's a classy yet quirky choice for my fellow sophisticated spunks out there. Tarte Glamazon Pure Performance 12-Hour Lipstick in Bold is a soft coral that leans on the pink side. The satin finish makes the lipstick almost live up to its name. I've never actually worn it for half a day before, but I can testify that this held strong after several cups of tea/coffee and a burger. 

[Revlon Coralberry | MAC Crosswires | MAC See Sheer | Tarte Bold | Bobbi Brown Jenna | Revlon Fire and Ice] 
Somewhere between corals and oranges lies Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick in Coralberry (£7.49) (review). This was probably on my lips 80% of the time last summer and I've pushed so many people to buy this perfect balance of orange and pink. It wears for a good 4-5 hours before I need to touch up, but sadly, that time frame doesn't involve eating as it's not the best lipstick to fight incoming food. 

I love a good orange lip, I even done a whole post on it here. But still, the Bobbi Brown Creamy Matte Lipstick in Jenna deserves a second mention here. A straight up orange that's opaque and in your face with one swipe, I love throwing this on the days that I'm wearing a white-tee and minimal makeup. 

I've never been the one for reds. While they look amazing on other people, I just never thought I was a red lip kinda girl. But let's face it, who doesn't want to have the confidence to wear red lipstick? It's the majestic dragon of the makeup world. The newest kid on the block and another Revlon pick, the Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick in Fire and Ice is a red that's not really a red. You know what I mean? Let me try and eloquent this, not a straight up red, it's rumoured to look slightly different on everyone as it plays off your skin tone and compliments it. I've only worn this a couple of times, but it adds a modern vibe to the classic red lips, cat flick look. This might just be my intro to red lips. Who knows? 

What are your favourite summer lip picks? 

PS. Post-exam delirium, the text might be a bit wonky. Apologies. It should be back on track soon. Hopefully.  
post signature

17 comments