Still Searching For The Perfect Base (but almost there?)

21.5.13

When I first started experimenting with makeup, I never thought that I'd be obsessed with hunting down the perfect foundation. Really, from a layman's point of view, what's so fun about foundation? It's not colorful and fun like eyeshadow, and it's not versatile like nail polish or lipstick or eyeliner. 
So what's so fun about foundation? 

I was wrong. 

Now, I don't admit to that often but I'm glad to admit to it on this issue.
I don't have great skin. For reference, I have combination, acne/scarring-prone, dehydrated skin.
I am working on a skincare to hopefully work and better my skin but I've only mildly conquered the dehydrated part so far. 
Hence, foundation turned out to be the key to pulling together my makeup look and to get the right key, I've been on the hunt for the perfect foundation that works for my skin. 
This is what I've tried so far (+ mini reviews!)
(and note that I do always powder after application)

L'Oreal le teint True Match Foundation in G3 Golden Beige
I'm fairly sure this is the Asia version of the L'Oreal Lumi foundation.
I really wanted to love this foundation for all the great reviews I've heard about the Lumi foundation. And now I'm just hoping that this isn't the same formula as that one because I just didn't like this. It settled into my smile lines almost right after application and caked up quite easily. There's a tiny bit of shimmer in it (as you can see in the photo below) and it looked so Edward Cullen if I wore it when the sun was out. The only times I wore this foundation was on cloudy days and mixed it with some moisturizer.
Probably my least favorite of the bunch.  

Revlon Nearly Naked Foundation in 160 Fresh Beige
Recently featured in the haul post that I did, I've used this foundation a couple of times and I quite like it. I feel like it's going to be a great foundation for the high of summer. It feels very light on the skin but still evens out the skin quite well. And it has an SPF of 15, not as high as I'd like to go but it's good for the days when you're not spending a lot of time outdoors and don't want to apply another layer of product. The only issue I have with this foundation is it doesn't cover acne scars. I'm breaking out quite a bit at the moment, so this foundation is put aside for the moment. 

Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum in 51 Light Vanilla
I freaking love this foundation. It's a bit on the pricier side for a drug store foundation but it's amazing. Seriously. Fun fact, Bourjois, contrary to the popular belief, owns Chanel. Take a minute to wrap your head around that: drugstore brand owning high end brand. 
I've heard this is a dupe for the Chanel foundations. I haven't tried any yet but I'd bet my money on it. 
This foundation does have quite a strong fruity smell. I quite like it, I smell it like a druggie, but if it's not your thing or you're quite sensitive, you might want to test this out before you buy it. 
I got this a shade too light for my complexion at the moment, but in the end, it works out. For me, this would probably be a better winter foundation since I'm not that oily during those months. 
If you have combination skin, remember to apply powder over this and you should be fine. If you have oily skin, you might want to borrow a friend's to test it out first. 
Some people say that the lasting power isn't great but I've been able to wear it for around 8 hours with only a bit of fading. 
Bourjois Healthy Mix Foundation in 52 Vanilla
The new kid in the family. Bourjois has been out of stock for the past few months here in Taiwan (something to do with importing companies or whatever) but they've finally restocked and I got my hands on the original healthy mix. 
Well, original might be the wrong word since this is a new formula, but from what I understand, it's just amplifying the benefits of the old one. 
I've only used it once so I can't give a full review. But based on first impressions, I think this could be my everyday summer foundation! 
Yes, like the serum, it does have a strong fruity smell. The coverage is better than the serum, around medium coverage. I usually don't need to apply concealer over this (but note that I'm fine with a hint of pink showing, saves me from having to use blush). I only wore it for 4ish hours last time, so I can't fully comment on the lasting power. It felt quite good on my skin so I'm excited to see how this will hold in the high of summer!

Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Even Finish Foundation in 2.5 Warm Sand
This was my first foundation ever. I know, high end. I was just nervous about finding the right shade because everyone made such a big deal out of it, I just decided I'd save myself the hassle and go to the counter to get matched up. 
I think because it was my first foundation, I thought it was great. But after I started exploring more options, my opinion started to sway. Don't get me wrong, this is still a pretty good foundation. It is true to it's name in the long-lasting department and the coverage is medium. It doesn't feel heavy on the skin and you can build up the foundation. But I'd suggest using a damp sponge since it's prone to cake up if you build up with fingers or brushes. I probably wouldn't repurchase since it's a bit expensive. I like this foundation but I only use it when I have a bit more patience and time to do my makeup. 

Laura Mercier Silk Creme Foundation in Medium Ivory
I've raved about this a few times on my blog already and it's seriously that good. I'll keep this short and simple. Probably my favorite foundation in the collection. I don't wear this as an everyday foundation but this is the one I take with me when I travel because of the tube packaging. It has a slight chemical-y smell that I'm not particularly fond of, but it fades quite quickly. Unlike the Bourjois foundations. 
The lasting power of this is great, I've put it on at 8am with powder over it and when I got home at 9pm, it was still looking fairly great. The LM MUAs say that they apply all their foundations with sponges, but I love using a flat kabuki to stipple this on (my trusty Sigma F80, of course!)
When first using this, I'd start out with less and applying in natural lighting to experiment with the amount you need. For me, it's around 2/3 - 1/2 of the amount I need when I use my Bobbi Brown or Bourjois foundation. 


Skin 79 BB Cream in Pink
The BB Cream craze has been going on for years and is still strong here in Asia so naturally, I had to give it a shot. Skin 79 had great reviews and the pink packaged one is targeted towards combination/oily skin so I picked it up. 
Let's just say it's been sitting at the back of my makeup collection for almost as long as I've had it.
I don't like it. It looks ashy when you first apply it, but it does get better as it oxidizes. However, as Asian BB creams usually are, they tend to be very pale. So while the coverage is quite sheer, I still feel quite washed out. It also feels quite greasy and sticky on the skin. 
What I like about this is the packaging. The pump design is travel-friendly and the hot pink color is downright cute.
All in all, I've tried a few BB Creams (mostly Asian) and I'm just not a fan of them in general. 


(left to right) L'oreal le tient / Revlon Nearly Naked / Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum / Bourjois Healthy Mix / BB Long-Lasting with SPF 15/ LM Silk Creme / Skin 79

First swatch photo ever. Still trying to get the hang of it. But as you can see, I'm not the best when it comes to matching myself up in the drugstore..

I have a few samples that I'm trying out at the moment, but I think that my hunt as slowed down a bit since I have my LM and Bourjois foundations! 
 

6 comments