worth investing in #2

20.11.15

I've been toning down the makeup spendings since I moved back to Taiwan. I'd like to think that it's mostly because I'm more than happy with my makeup collection - which I am - and am now more sensible with money (read: I'm batshit poor). But let's be real, my mum's horrified reaction when she saw all the makeup I owned and the following lecture is probably what's stopping me from raiding the Korean makeup stores that seem to be on every street corner here. 

Anywho. That ramble has a point, which I probably should've made like, three sentences ago. There's a difference between products worth the money and those worth investing in. I've gathered together some more products that have a performance record well beyond their price tag and worth those hard-earned pennies. 

I've been quite vocal about the Urban Decay Naked Basics (£23) since back when this blog had a culinary name. Fast forward 2.5 years later and I'm still very much in love with this palette. Depending on your preferences, both the original Naked Basics and the Naked2 Basics are worth investing in as matte eyeshadow palettes are already rare enough and for the each shadow to be insanely high quality is like finding water in the desert. Plus, it's not just an eyeshadow palette. Old dog, new tricks. Break the rules, think outside the box.   I like to bring this little one when I travel as I can also use the midtoned shades for contouring and the one shimmer shade as a highlighter.

Another old love that's been well documented on the blog, the Bobbi Brown Corrector (£19) is one that you need if you have serious dark circles. Like bold, capital letters NEED. I've always had this little pot of perfection in my makeup bag since, well, since I started wearing makeup. It works wonders at colour correcting even the darkest of pits, meaning that you minimise the potential for major undereye concealer cake-up when piling on concealer after concealer in vain. 

I haven't talked about the Jouer Matte Moisture Tint (£30) in a while, but it's still well loved. This is a tinted moisturiser that's different from everything else on the market. It's a satin/matte finish that seriously looks like real skin when applied and wears ridiculously well throughout the day. I mean, it'll look good when you first apply, but it'll look fantastic three hours later. The mousse-like texture provides coverage on par with a light foundation while feeling weightless on the skin. Plus, travel friendly squeezy tube? Uh, yes please. 

Last but not least, I never thought a lipstick would ever be worth investing in. But the NARS Audacious Lipsticks (£24) have proven me wrong. These are not just worth the money, they are the one lipstick line I would keep if I was forced to give away all my other lipsticks. Bold claim, I know, but let's break it down. First off, insane colour payoff. Wears really well through coffees and burgers. Formula while not hydrating, but very comfortable even after 6-7 hours. Also, the magnetic packaging? Yes. The extensive shade range, funnily enough is a bit hit or miss as there seems to be a huge gap between the jump in colours while having handful of shades that are extremely similar. So if you can find a colour, or five, that you really love. I'd say go forth and invest, my child. You won't regret it.

Saving money isn't the easiest thing when you love buying makeup. But there are several products that are definitely worth the investment. The 4+1 mentioned in this post are all those that I would happily part ways with my money again and again as they pretty much qualm the further seeking of any other products in the same category. What are some of the products you think are worth the investment? 
With Love, 
Daphne x


Previously On: Worth Investing In #1
Where to buy in Taiwan: Sogo Department Stores (NARS + Bobbi Brown), Beauty Bay (Urban Decay), Cult Beauty (Jouer) 

0 comments