top ten: everyday lipsticks - drugstore edition

13.11.15

I'm a person that will wear a bold lip for just about any occasion. But even I need a break from the bright reds and loud pinks. I have a small squad of lipsticks that are more appropriate for every day wear, especially for people that aren't used to wearing loud colours. I categorised my top ten drugstore every day lipsticks into three categories - the nudes, the pinks, and the low-key statement lips (aka darker, seasonal neutrals) - so there should be something for everyone here. 

The Nudes: It took me a long time to get into nude lips. I've always liked the look on other people, but it always looked 'wrong' on me. Maybe because like I said, since I have quite pink lips, I wasn't used to how 'nude' these shades looked on me. Another thing I later found out was that I can't do 'peachy' nudes. I sit with the beige-brown with a hint of pink nudes better. The Maybelline Matte Lipstick in Nude Embrace (wearing above), is the palest nude shade I own and it surprisingly sits really well with my skin tone. A beige with a tint of pink, this is a easy shade to work with for those that have fair to light-medium skin. If you want something slightly darker that also leans more beige, than the Rimmel Kate Moss Lipstick in 03 is a really good pick. On the pinkier nude side, the Rimmel Kate Moss Lipstick in 08 is a really easy to wear shade that should suit well with a wider range of skin tones. Leaning more brown, the Maybelline Colour Sensational Lipstick in Velvet Beige will look really well on warmer skin tones.  

The Pinks: I'm picky with my pinks. I don't like anything that's too baby doll or stereotypical 'girly'. There's nothing wrong with those shades, I just feel like they don't particularly suit my personality. Probably the stereotypical 'pink' of my picks, the Revlon HD Lipstick in Rose (wearing above) is a shade that I'll go back to when all my other neutral shades fail me. The sans-wax formula of this line makes the lipstick really easy and comfortable to wear. I sometimes forget that I'm even wearing lipstick until I take a sip of coffee and see the lipstick stain. A sheerer offering that still leaves a beautiful finish is the Essence Lipstick in Natural Beauty - it's slightly more mauve, which I love. It's a sheerer formula that will allow your natural lip colour to shine through. But again, really comfortable and wears off evenly. It's also one of those 'sans mirror application' lipsticks, meaning that it's really good for on the go. Last but not least, a tea-rose shade that's slightly darker and almost dustier than the previous two offerings, the Catrice Ultimate Colour Lipstick in In a Rosegarden is beautiful and has taken up temporary residence in my handbag. I did a whole review on this particular lipstick line that you can read here - but in short, these are probably one of my favourite lipstick lines. Ever.

The Low-key Statement Lip: Basically, it's a neutral lip that's just dark enough to make a 'why, yes, I'm putting extra effort into my still casual and minimal look' statement. I rounded up the more autumnal shades for this post. The Revlon Matte Balm in Sultry (wearing above) has quickly grown to be a favourite. It's a deep mauvey-pink shade with a tint of berry in certain lights. Slightly more pink and brighter is the Wet n Wild Megalast Lipstick in Rose-bud.  Otherwise, the shade In a Wine Room is more seasonal - a brown-based pink that's just dark enough to make a natural impact. Long-lasting and opaque in one coat, the Wet n Wild Megalast Lipsticks are a bargain for the price and quickly becoming one of my favourite 'must collect all' formulas. 

(Left to Right) Maybelline Nude Embrace | Rimmel 03 | Rimmel 08 | Maybelline Velvet Beige || Revlon HD Rose | Essence Natural Beauty | Catrice In A Rosegarden || Revlon Sultry | Wet N Wild Rose-bud | Wet N Wild In A Wine Room 
I might be a bold lipstick girl at heart, but that doesn't mean I don't have a collection of toned down lipsticks that I'll reach for almost just as often as a bright lip. Are you a bright lipstick all day every day kinda person or one for more neutral tones? 
With Love, 
Daphne x

0 comments