slightly disappointed: three mascaras

23.11.15

I'm not particularly picky with mascaras as well, let's face it, I don't generally have hopes for any mascaras. With a basically non-existing performance standard, it's not that easy for a mascara to leave me disappointed. But after testing out mascara after mascara for the past several months in a desperate hail Mary attempt to get out of my rut, I'm yet to find one that excites me but I have come across three that left me slightly disappointed. 

You know what I just said about not having hope for mascaras? Scratch that for this one as I did have hopes for it. Not too many expectations, mind you, but I had upped the standards with the hype surrounding the Maybelline Colossal Volume Express Mascara. I was hoping for some volume and maybe a tiny bit of drama, but nothing drastic nor life changing. I'm sad to say that the hyped up Maybelline didn't even fulfil the little expectations I had. The formula didn't cling to my lashes at all, or the little amount that did ended up smudged all over my face after a couple hours. So, technically, I guess you could say there was some drama, just not the kind I would've preferred. 

Now this one might be slightly unreasonable. I'm not too fond of waterproof mascaras as they are, pardon what's to come but, a massive pain in the butt to get off. But I've tried my fair share of mascaras and most mascaras are able to stand up to a tiny bit of water before going all 'Blank Space' on me. But not the L'Oreal Voluminous Black Mascara. This stuff is like cheap toilet paper when it comes to water and will instantly smudge without remorse. It's a good mascara but it doesn't deliver the voluminous results I was expecting. It's a nice everyday mascara when you want a natural look, but it fell short against expectations and claims. 

Last but not least, I was once all about the L'Oreal Miss Manga Mascara, so I purchased the L'Oreal Miss Manga Black Angel this time around with the anticipation that it would deliver the results I once loved. I don't know if this formula is different to the original one, or if my taste in mascara has changed, but the Black Angel's effect on my lashes was neither black nor angelic. My lashes were darkened, but no more so than any other regular black mascara and this formula seemed to be more clumpy and 'weighing down to hell' than 'angel wings lifting to heaven'. 

Mascaras are a personal and quite peculiar product. They're also quite easy to fall into a rut as they're probably the one product that cannot be tested out in stores. I'm sad to say that I've been disappointed by three offerings when I didn't have much hope for them in the beginning. Have any lash coatings disappointed you lately? 
With Love, 
Daphne x

0 comments