[The Review] Tarte Amazonian Clay Full Coverage Airbrush Foundation

12.2.14

This seems to be one of those products that just exploded in popularity overnight, so naturally, there were some of you that wanted reviews when I showed this in the Tarte haul post (read here). I've been using this religiously for three weeks now and it's more than safe to say I'm completely head over tail in love. 
Oh right, my face was unedited in these photos as I wanted to display the actual results of the product. That means, spots and everything. 
Mineral foundation is something that I've always wanted to dab into but never knew where to begin as I'm 99% sure I'm allergic to the bare minerals offering. But being offered the chance, I decided the Tarte Amazonian Clay Full Coverage Airbrush Foundation would be a nice place to start. Not being able to swatch things in store, the Tarte website was extremely helpful with shade descriptions. I ended up going for Fair-Light Honey, described as 'fair to light skin with peach undertones. I'll admit, I was a bit worried that the shade might be a bit off as I wasn't sure if I had 'peach undertones' as I'm quite convinced I have 'yellow undertones'. Although, if there's anyone out there that can be completely sure of my undertones and let me know, I'll bake you a virtual cookie. But surprisingly, and a pat on the back for myself, the shade match was impeccable. So maybe I do have peach undertones? Dear Undertones, stop stressing me out! 

Moving on. I don't think the Tarte packagings have ever let me down. This one was no exception. I love the bamboo cap and the orange/brown/beer bottle colored plastic casing. But most of all, I loved the sifter that acted as the bouncer for the powder. I've used loose powders a couple times before and it was always more product flying in the air than going on the brush. I've never experienced a cloud of powder and fog with this product, I'm guessing it's because of the magical sift. It's the small details. 
I was worried that powder foundations would look matte, and dry and cakey, but surprisingly, this mineral powder was nothing of the above. Buffing this with the Sephora Mineral Powder Brush, the results are buttery smooth and skinlike. It's so easy to blend and to say that it melts and blends into your skin would definitely not be an exaggeration. As you can see from the photos, it's definitely not full coverage in my opinion. But I'm as spotty as a dalmation at the moment and the photos are sans-concealer. I did put on some concealer after taking these photos, and surprisingly, the 'no powder before liquid' rule had no standing grounds in this case as the concealer sat just as well over the mineral foundation as it does on skin. 
The wear time for this foundation is spectacular. I've applied this at 8 in the morning before taking it off near 14 hours later and it looks even better than it did in the morning. This is one little buddy that definitely ages well. Like good wine. 
This has been my everyday foundation for the past several weeks and has sorta curbed my 'MOAR BASES' urge. I say sorta because now I really want to try the Laura Mercier Mineral Powder foundation....Welp! 

24 comments