[The Face] Dark Lips and Colored Shadows (FOTD #5)

4.11.13

I'm a neutral shadows kinda gal, despite owning gorgeous colored shadows. The most use I get out of them is taking them out of the storage, looking fondly at them, swatching on the back of my hand, before sorrowfully shaking my head and tucking them back into my drawer. Despite all this, I can't bring myself to stop buying colored shadows. So this year, I have my mind set on attempting more looks with colored shadows.
MAC Cranberry is the queen of "I love you but I have no idea how to use you" shades in my stash. After a few youtube videos, chatting to a couple friendly MAC makeup artists (seriously, the makeup artists at the Pro Store around Covent Garden are the friendliest MAC people I've ever met) and I decided it was about time I attempt to wear this gorgeous color.
[Pictured] Urban Decay Naked Basics | MICA Shimmer Powder in Earth | MAC Cranberry | Essence Quattro in Denim | Maybelline Fit Me Foundation | Maybelline The Rocket Mascara | Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Eye Base | Top Shop Brow Pencil in Brown | Solone Black Eyeliner | Maybelline Fit Me Concealer | Rimmel Kate Moss 107 | Bobbi Brown Brightening Finishing Powder 
[Not Pictured] MAC Cork | MAC Powerpoint Eyeliner in Stubborn Brown 
The base is the same as always, Maybelline Fit Me Foundation, Maybelline Fit Me Concealer finished with a light dusting of the Bobbi Brown Brightening Finishing Powder. I've been really happy with this base combination, I don't think I'll be switching it up any time soon. I've been getting into brow pencils lately and the one that I've been reaching for lately is the Topshop Brow Pencil. I don't find the need to use a clear brow gel to seal things in when I use a pencil as they don't seem to wear off as quick as powder. 
My cheeks were particularly red that day so it seemed okay to skip the blush and move onto the fun part. After applying the Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Eye Base as a primer, I used a combination of Foxy and WOS from the Urban Decay Naked Basics Palette as an all over base color before light-handedly using MAC Cork in the crease to add subtle definition and help the transition be softer. At this point, I was considering if I should just go out the door like this and not play around with the colors. But after making sure I had my makeup remover at hand, I patted on MAC Cranberry all over the lid, and used a combo of the denim blue and midnight blue shade from the Essence Quattro Eyeshadow in denim 4.0 in the outer corner to create some definition. Plus, I love the sunset color combo it creates. As I felt that it was a bit dark, I used my finger and pressed a bit of MICA Shimmer Powder in 72 Earth to the middle of my eyelid. I went back and blended everything out to make sure the colors weren't blotchy. Everything still looked a bit abrupt and undone, so on a whim, I pulled out the Solone Black Eyeliner that I haven't used in ages to line the upper lash line and smudge a tiny but of MAC Powerpoint Eyeliner in Stubborn Brown on the lower lash line. I used to wear grungy smudged eyeliner back in the days, and after doing the mentioned, I'm having the urge to go grunge again. A quick curl of the lashes and couple coats of Maybelline The Rocket Mascara, I dabbed on a bit of the Rimmel Kate Moss Lipstick in 107 to create a day appropriate look.
(The pores, the scarring...I should've just backed away from the camera)
But as I wasn't really going out that day and seeing how soft the lipstick looked in photos, I properly applied the 107 on my lips and came up with this gorgeous opaque color. I think it'd definitely look amazing on the night that I decide to drag my bum up from the chair and go out to have a drink with friends or a night out. 
I think for a first attempt, this wasn't so bad. I'll definitely be experimenting with colored eyeshadows more. It seems that eyeliner is the key to if colored eyeshadow will look good or not. Any more tips on how to wear colored shadow?  

Follow on Bloglovin

25 comments