The Current Base Loves

15.11.13

Oh spots. Why? Currently, my jaw line looks like a frat party of blemishes. A lot of them are the small dark ones, with a couple of huge under-the-skin-please-stop-hurting spots. I've been amping up my skincare routine in hopes to end this fiesta, but in the meantime, I'm striving to aim for a base that'll let me look less like a red dalmatian. 
I've had a small sized Laura Mercier Foundation Primer - Radiance for several months now but never reached for it until lately. I've realized that being "radiant", not only is this able to bring a glow to my skin, it'll also blur the imperfections. You know like in the movies when there's a soft ring of light around a person and the edges are always defused? Kinda like that. The blemishes are still there, I can still see the angry red spots rocking up a party, but it's like they had a couple too much to drink and are starting to get hazy. (What is it with me and my analogies today?) Next up, another offering from Laura Mercier and a long time favorite, the Laura Mercier Silk Creme Foundation. In fact, of the small army of foundations I had back home, this was the only one that made the cut and I brought to London with me. Partially because it's expensive, but mainly because it's pretty darn good. It's a very thick foundation and less is definitely more when it comes to this. I use 2/3 of a pea size across my whole face, any more and I'm probably re-starting my whole base as it'll look thick and cakey. Yuck. I use a buffing brush to stipple and buff this foundation into my skin, concentrating a dab more on the jaw line. This is a really thick, high coverage foundation, but because I only used a small amount, there's still a tiny bit of redness peeking through. The only thing that's slightly annoying? When I bought this last year, I went for my summer shade. I don't know what was wrong with me, buying this thick a foundation for the summer? It isn't that obvious when I buff it out, but there's this tiny part of me that's itching to buy a new shade that'll fit the sans-sun shade I'm currently sporting.
I have a small collection of concealers as you probably know, and the blogger favorite Collection Lasting Perfection Concealer was never one that I reached for. I thought it was massively over-hyped and stuck religiously to my Maybelline Fit Me Concealer or the Benefit Boi-ing Concealer (review here). But like I said earlier, sans-sun pales me a lot and the Maybelline Fit Me Concealer which was a perfect shade match till several weeks back has become slightly too dark. Plus with my dry patchy cheeks and jawline, the Benefit Boi-ing Concealer is definitely a no-go. The only other concealer that was in my current shade was this one, so I decided to give it another go before I raised my hands and declared defeat. Turns out, I'm quite liking this. Definitely not to be used under the eyes in my case, this thick liquid-almost-mousse texture has pretty amazing coverage that lives up to the hype. Probably because of the thick texture, it isn't the easiest concealer to blend out with a fluffy brush. I find that the good ol "tap tap" fingers are best. I think I'm starting to understand the hype around this. 
It's a base routine, but I thought I'd throw in what I've been using for under the eyes lately. As winter rolls around and readings pile higher than before, the panda shadows are starting to creep up. The Bobbi Brown Corrector (review here) has been a long staple in my makeup kit. In fact, it was one of the first high end makeup products I ever bought. The peachy shade of it counteracts the blue/green/purple shadows under the eyes and brightens up the whole area. On days when I'm truly in a rush, I'll even just use this to brighten up the under eye area and not use a concealer overtop. But most days, I still reach for the Bobbi Brown Creamy Concealer Kit (review here). I have phases with this concealer, and I'm currently in the "I don't know why I ever left you behind" phase. Again, this is a product that would be better performed if you use fingers. A quick pat of my ring finger to pick up some product, and several pressing motions under the eyes, those dark circles are carefully hidden under the blanket. 
With that, the base is finished and I get to move on to powder (as always, I'm opting to use the Bobbi Brown Brightening Finishing Powder - it's actually the only one I currently own) and the rest of the fun stuff! 
What are your favorite products when it comes to cloaking the little party that the blemishes are holding on your face? 

Follow on Bloglovin

8 comments