[Review] UD Naked Basics - Basic but Never Boring

29.7.13

 I'm sure you beauties aren't strangers to this palette. I was meaning to get this up sooner, but always forgot about it, until you guys mentioned a review of it a while back.
I’ve always been curious about the palettes because of A) the hype that was surrounding it like it was Jesus reborn and B) because it’s not sold here. And as we all know, what we can’t get our hands on is what we long for the most. But what really made me consider paying the obscene international shipping fee was the release of the Naked Basics palette. It does seem like a rather boring palette when compared to the shimmery gorgeous colors in the Naked One and Naked Two. Plus it doesn’t include the goodies like the brush nor the duel-ended eyeliner. But I’ve always been quite a fan of matte shadows and it’s harder to find a palette that consists mostly of matte shadows.
In the end, I was patient and didn't have to pay the absurd international shipping fee as I picked it up on my Minnesota trip back at the start of May. 
I don’t think I need to rave about how brilliant the shadows are as everyone already has, and I wouldn’t be able to come up with a more creative way of describing the texture without sounding like I’m mad on drugs. The packaging has a rubbery feeling to it and has a great big mirror that I love in it. It’s quite small and easy to carry around. The packing is quite sturdy and from experience, I can tell you that it holds up quite well to slippery hands. But you can definitely see the wearing in the packaging around the corners from me carrying around everywhere. 
It has already become a staple in my makeup routine as it’s great in creating that “What are you talking about? I’m not wearing any eye makeup!” look. While the name suggests it’s basic, it is by no means not versatile. I like to use the lighter shades as highlights, not only under the brow bone and on the inner corners, but also on the top of the cheekbones and down the center of the nose. Especially recently as I’ve been skipping eyeliner, I like to apply Crave with an angled brush as eyeliner. I fill in my brows with a mix of Crave and Faint by using the same angled brush, completing my eyes and brows by using one palette.
The Naked Basics palette is great to have in your collection, even if you’re not a fan of matte shades. It’s also a great starter palette to splurge on as it’s multipurpose and great quality. This is a product that I think has definitely lived up to the hype and makes me want to buy the other Naked Palettes! 

18 comments