The Colder Weather Edit

13.9.13

I was going to call this The Autumn Edit, but then I realized I'm talking about the better half of the year, in general. Hence, the title. We'll see if I come up with The Winter Edit in a couple months time. Autumn and Winter are by far, my favorite seasons. Growing up in Minnesota, a state that snows through almost half a year, I love the cold. Ever since moving back to a tropical island, I've been craving that chilly, leaves turning orange and falling off, apple cider kinda autumn. Luckily, this year, I'll be able to go through that proper weather change and I'm more than excited. I recently did The Summer Recap, looking back at the products that has served me well. Today, we're going to be looking into the future as I predict the products that'll be in rotation as the colder months come. 
I'm not going to tread on skincare in this post, because I know I'll have to come up with a whole new skincare routine for the bitter winter. (Any recommendations for combination, dehydrated, sensitive, acne-prone skin?) So moving on. After months of sitting at the back of my makeup drawer wanting to be loved, the Laura Mercier Silk Creme Foundation will finally be able to see the light again as I will move these heavier foundations into rotation as the temperature drops. I can't wait to fall in love with this foundation all over again! Completely on the other side of the spectrum, the Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum will most likely find it's way into rotation. As it was completely handicapped by my combination-oily summer skin, I'm glad that I picked this up in my winter shade as I think it'll work wonderfully as my skin is more combination-normal. 
As much of a coral freak, the beloved Tarte Amazonian Clay blush in Tipsy will probably have to go into hibernation as I reach for the more mauve or cool-toned colors. The NYX Blush in Dusty Rose is a great pick to add some subtle color to the pasty face. Or to create a brighter "I just came in from outside" cheek, the Tarte 12-Hour Amazonian Clay Blush in Dollface is my go-to cool toned pink. It's too easy to look dull and "eck" in the colder months, so the highlighters I previously ignored will be checked out of storage and checked into rotation. Either opting for cream highlights to get that "from within" radiant glow, or the more obvious powder highlight with a tint of golden-sheen to add some more color, it's a great way to brighten up the otherwise pasty, pale face. 
I hate using eyeliner in the summer as it'll just race to melt off in the heat. But as the colder months come around, I'm looking forward to lining my upper and lower lashes before slightly smudging them out. I like using a good pencil brush, but when I don't have that around, Q-tips with the Lisa Eldridge trick of the slightest amount of vaseline will also be able to create that worn-in liner look that I absolutely love for the brisk days. Last year, I wore mostly eyeliner and never really touched eye shadow. But this year, I'll be looking forward to using MAC Cranberry, just the name alone conjures up the image of family gathered around a huge turkey. Oh, how I miss Thanksgiving! 
As for the lips, the EOS lipblam will probably be replaced with my trusty Smith Rose Salve, while See Shore and Coralberry might be replaced with cooler toned pink. Dark, plumy, and dare I say it, vampy lips are something that I'm still dipping my toe in. While they look amazing on some people, I'm still not feeling it quite so. Maybe it's because as I'm typing this up, it's still 28 degrees (Celcius!) outside. Maybe when the brisk chillness starts rolling in and I'm bundled up in that comfy sweater (or as the British call it, jumpers) with sleeves that are too long (seriously, those are the best), I'll start wanting to add plums into the collection. That being said, MAC Plumful has been on the wishlist for quite a while already. But for now, while I still don't fully comprehend the hype around these, Revlon Lip Butter in Sugar Plum will be my "in" to the dark lips. 
The darker and cooler-toned colors also move to the nails. While I'll still rock a aqua like I'm about to go to the beach, more deep purples and greys will be brought into rotation. Glitter polishes and metallic finishes tend to come out and play more. I think it's because it's not so hot anymore, I'm more willing to spend the three hours trying to remove the glitters from my knuckles, all the while wondering why the hell I thought it would be fun to apply glitter polish in the first place. 
Inspire me, what are your go-to products for autumn? And any skin care recommendations? 

Pictured: MAC Mineralize Skinfinish in Soft and Gentle | Benefit Watt's Up | NYX Blush in Dusty Rose | Laura Mercier Foundation Primer - Radiance | Nicole by OPI You're A Star | Tarte Amazonian Clay 12-Hour Blush in Dollface | Smith Minted Rose Lip Balm | Models Own in Purple Pearl | Salone eyeliner | Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick in Love That Red | MAC Speak Louder | MAC Powerpoint Eyeliner in Stubborn Brown | Models Own in Gold Digger | Revlon Lip Butter in Sugar Plum | Laura Mercier Silk Creme Foundation | MAC Cranberry Eyeshadow | Maybelline Color Tattoo in Pomegranate Punk | Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum

Follow on Bloglovin

21 comments