Starting Out: Foundation

10.9.13

Foundation is one of those things that I never thought I'd ever be crazy for. They're nowhere near colorful as eyeshadows, nor as fun as lipsticks. But as soon as I started really diving into makeup, I started realizing my mistake - foundations are freaking interesting. Seriously. It's ridiculously hard to find a holy grail that'll give you the coverage you need, the finish you want, the longevity you crave, and at the price point you want. I've been experimenting with a fair share of foundations and have narrowed things down to three that are good to start up. 
Okay, let's back up for a moment and tackle the question: what is foundation and who needs it? Foundation, as the name suggests, is the base for your makeup. That said, not every one needs it. If you have perfect "a baby would be jealous" skin, then let your skin show! Why cover it up? But for us mortals who have discoloration, scarring, blemishes and whatnot that we would rather not showcase to the rest of the world, then foundation would probably be our second best friend (after concealer, that is). As I mentioned in the last installation of the Starting Out project, foundation is mainly used for evening out your skin while concealer is the one that'll cover up the imperfections. The coverages for foundations vary: from sheer/barely-there tinted moisturizers to medium and fuller coverage foundations. The finishes can be from completely matte to satin, dewy, radiant finishes. Basically, there's something for everyone in the foundation category. I used to be on the hunt for matte, full coverage foundations, but lately, I've been reaching for more radiant, medium-sheer bases. 
Next up: what shade should I get and how do I apply foundation? The shade thing is tricky. There's the whole thing of "undertones" and the lighting. But in short, test out the shade of your foundation in natural lighting to see which shade matches the color of your jawline the closest. As for application methods, the most common are sponge, hands, and brush. Sponges when used wet, are great for sheer applications, hands are the easiest way, and brushes provide a wide range of application finishes. I'm not going to go into detail on application methods here but if you have any questions, don't hesitate to leave a comment or contact me. 
Now with that out of the way, I'll be sharing the top three foundations that I think are great for people that are just starting out. If you want a radiant, low coverage, lightweight foundation, then both the Bourjois Radiance Revealed Healthy Mix and the Revlon Nearly Naked Foundation should be up your alley. The Revlon Nearly Naked Foundation, while being lightweight, actually offers more coverage than the Bourjois Radiance Revealed Healthy Mix in my opinion as it's more pigmented, and it has SPF 15. But I still reach for the Bourjois one on a daily basis because A) it's a better color match for me, and B) it has a pump. And there's also the fact that I like the Bourjois foundation's consistency a lot better, as it's not as watery like the Revlon one. Both of these are great drugstore offers and a good place to start with foundations if you're not sure what you're looking for. Both of these foundations can be applied with fingers, brushes, or sponges. The third, and probably my most favorite of the stash, is the Estee Lauder Double Wear Light. Of the three, it provides the most coverage and the staying power of it is the best. I've raved about this foundation over and over again the past couple months, and did a whole review of this here. Basically, it provides medium, buildable coverage while feeling light on the skin. However, as this is a thicker consistency when compared to the other two, this wouldn't be ideal to apply with fingers. I normally use a brush, but I imagine a damp sponge would be amazing as well. For swatches and a more individual review of the foundation, you can see the foundation roundup I did a while ago here
These are just several picks that I think are good for starters. Some other favorites that I didn't mention is the Laura Mercier Silk Creme foundation, Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua, and the Estee Lauder Double Wear. But let's not get ahead of ourselves and start with the beginner foundations. 
I kinda feel like I was rushing through this post a bit as there was so much I wanted to talk about regarding foundations. But I managed to trim things down. If there are any parts that you're not sure of, then don't hesitate to let me know! What are your favorite foundations/bases? 

Oh yes! And exciting news for my UK readers, Stephanie (aka the founder of this whole project) has managed to gather brands and create a giveaway specifically for the Starter Out Project. Including brands like L'Oreal, Collection, Batiste, the giveaway will start on October 5th and last a month. You can check her post here for more information and I'll keep you guys updated as well! 

Previously: Skincare | Concealer
Next week on #theSOproject: Bronzer

Follow on Bloglovin

10 comments