september favourites 2015.

2.10.15

Marking the start of my favourite season, September has been a pretty good month. I handed in my dissertation as I've mentioned 1023 times before, moved flats, explored North London, finally had time to relax and do nothing for the first time in about a year, and simply enjoying the freedom that comes with living alone before I move back home to Taiwan at the end of October. I've been constantly shopping the past month and there's a selected handful of products that have been in constant rotation despite the influx of new beings. 

I've been ditching my NARS Tinted Moisturiser the past month and reaching for the Rimmel Match Perfection Foundation (£6.99). An old favourite, paired with the Topshop Glow Pot (£9) - a favourite that I stupidly forgot to include in the photo - and applied with the Beauty Blender (£16) makes the perfect 'second skin' base. You'd never expect such good results coming from an inexpensive drugstore foundation. 

The Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage Concealer (£26.50) has a lot of hype around it and well, let's say that I gave into the hype while being skeptical about it. It's insanely pigmented and of course, drier than your regular liquid concealer. But it's fairly easy to use and melts into the skin perfectly if you tap it in with your fingers. I'm absolutely in love with this concealer and I have a feeling that this is going to be a continuing love affair. 

I have a weird relationship with blush. On one hand, I love it; on another, I'm not quite sure about it. For someone that has naturally red cheeks (from inflammation, not the healthy rosy glow that we'd all prefer), I find that blush tends to be something requires careful application. I normally stick to the non-offensive blush shades, but I always itch for the deeper, richer shades come the nippy breeze. I've been pulling out the trusty Wet n Wild ColorIcon Blush in Mellow Wine the past month. A beautiful deep rose shade, this is highly pigmented and only calls for minimal brush-pan contact. The lasting power is also astonishing, so basically, what I'm saying is, YOU PEOPLE THAT ARE LUCKY ENOUGH TO HAVE REGULAR ACCESS TO WET N WILD SHOULD APPRECIATE IT. *calms down* Appreciate the brand, people. Appreciate the brand. 

What would my monthly favourites be without a lip option. Or two. I've been really good at narrowing down the lipsticks that make my monthly cut. The first one is MAC Twig (£15.50), a beautiful brown-based pink that shifts colour balance depending on the lighting. It's a satin finish, meaning there's enough sheen to add dimension to the shade but not having a glossy finish. 

A shade on the whole other side of the spectrum, Estee Lauder Unattainable (£25) has been my favourite 'coloured' shade the past month. A beautiful plum shade with hints of red, the satin to matte finish holds up to constant coffee breaks. I have a review of this one coming up in the next week so remember to keep an eye out for that. 

Last but not least, I finally caved and added the Jo Malone Wood Sage and Sea Salt (£42) to complete my fragrance collection. Again, stupidly forgot to photograph it as well. This is a funny one, it's more of a summer evening scent as it conjures up the image of campfires on the beach, but also works well in the autumn as it smells like a bottled up blanket burrito - all cozy and cuddly. Definitely more gender neutral, the slight muskiness of the scent is balanced out with the freshness of well, salt. You know, freshness as in the ocean. I could go into a whole metaphor of rejuvenation and all that, but let's not let me get started on an unending ramble. Basically, this is a very cozy scent that works well for at least half the year. I'll have to test it out when the temperature really drops and see if the sea salt doesn't freeze around Christmas. 

It's been a while since I've had a really good makeup month, but September has definitely been one. I got interested in applying my makeup again, thinking of it as a creative process rather than just another daily routine. 

What have you been loving the past month? 
With Love, 
Daphne x

6 comments