be nice to your bank account #2

23.10.15

I've been guilty in er, overindulging in products I don't need and can't afford the past couple months. I thought it would be a nice change to pull myself away from the gravity force of the beauty counters and have a nice stroll down the drugstore aisles. Am I going to be buying products I don't need? Probably. But at least it'll be less of a dent in my bank account. Or so I tell myself. Seriously though, I've come across some pretty good affordable makeup products after being uninspired by the drugstore for some time now. 

I am a foundation snob that believes in the higher price tag when it comes to base products. But the L'Oreal Infallible 24H-Matte Foundation (£7.99) has reminded me that you can get good bases without living off of instant noodles for the rest of the month. It's obviously, a matte finish and wears really well throughout the day. It's a medium, tottering on the edge of full coverage foundation that feels light on the skin. There is no obvious scent to it and I appreciate that it comes in a squeezy tube rather than a bottle as I tend to be quite clumsy with my makeup at times. 

I raved about this at the start of the year but I'm still loving the Seventeen Stay Time Concealer (£4.49). It's not often a liquid concealer can live up to the full coverage claim, even rarer in the drugstore. However, the offering from Seventeen has won against all odds and delivered the full coverage claim. Plus, it's a seriously liquidy texture - not goopy liquidy, but liquidy liquidy. Make sense? I've come to the end of mine, but I'm picking up a backup to bring back to Taiwan as this stuff is just. that. good. 

Of course there was going to be a lipstick in the roundup post. The Maybelline Color Sensational Lipsticks (£6.99) have gotten a lot of hype but I've never found a shade and finish that I've liked as a lot of the colours I liked had an intense pearl finish. That said, I've recently been having a love affair with brown-based pinks and well, Velvet Beige just had to come home with me. Containing more brown than pink, it's surprisingly wearable with the slight mauve undertone. It's a creamy finish, but it still last up to four hours before I have to reapply. Coffee is fine, but it won't hold up through a meal. I often forget that I'm wearing lipstick when I have this on as it's so light on the lips. There is a strong sweet, almost herbal medicine smell to the lipstick but it fades away quite quickly after application. I'm wearing it in this photo, but it should be noted that I have quite pigmented lips so Velvet Beige looks more pink. 

Drugstore beauty was quite frustrating for several months, but there are still some diamonds in the rough. It's always satisfying to find quality products at relatively bargain prices. What have been some of your favourites from the drugstore? 
With Love, 
Daphne x


Previously On: Be Nice To Your Bank Account #1 


PS. Refresh for the comment section if it doesn't show up the first time around. It seems to be quite temperamental, I have no idea how to fix the issue. If anyone can figure it out and let me know how to fix it, I'll be forever grateful! xx

0 comments