Best Of 2013: The Skincare Edition

30.12.13

Welp welp! We're already in the final countdown to the new year. I have my new agenda ready to be filled in, but before that, we have a few things that need to be wrapped up. Instead of doing a December favorites, I decided to join the bandwagon and share some of my annual favorites. I already did my haircare picks here, and here's the second installment. 

I'd like to think that I've gotten a lot more confident with my skincare routine in the past year or so. It's needless to say that I had to shake things up a lot when I made the London move, but these are truly things that I've been loving the past year as half of the collection made its way over half the world with me. 
Starting off with old favorites, Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair (review here) and Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel changed my view to skincare. These were the products that prompted me to focus on protecting my skin. I've gone through a lot of cleansing waters in the past year as they're soft but do a great job at removing my makeup. My two favorites are the Collistar Micellar Water Cleansing Makeup Remover (not pictured) and the drugstore offering, L'Oreal Skin Perfection 3-in-1 Purifying Micellar Solution is just as good for a fraction of the price. I've gone through bottles of these stuff and I won't hesitate to repurchase either one. I've gotten obsessed with cleansing as I realized not properly cleansing was the main culprit for the spotty skin I had. My favorite of the bunch that I tried was the Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish Hot Cloth Cleanser and Origins A Perfect World Cleanser. An honorable mention goes to the Clinique Liquid Soap Cleanser, it worked amazingly well when my skin was oilier but becomes a tad too harsh during the colder months.
Facial oils are a recent addition to the skincare routine as my skin is not handling the cold, harsh winds well. One that I absolutely love is the Clarins Lotus Facial Oil Treatment as it does wonders to my skin. I'll definitely be on the lookout for more facial oils in the new year. Another new step in the skincare routine the past year has been facial masks. With the hydrating Origins Drink Up Intensive Mask and the detoxing Aesop Parsley Seed Cleansing Masque (review here), I think I'm quite content in this department. Last but not least, I've been more aware that I should slather on a layer of sunscreen before I apply foundation and after going through various offerings, my skin has been happy with the Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock. It doesn't have that fake coconut sunscreen smell, and true to its name, it dries within seconds and doesn't leave that telltale sunscreen sheen. Plus, it feels ridiculously light on the skin. What more could I ask for?
Moving away from the base, eye creams are something that I've gotten into the past year. I started noticing the dryness of my undereye area and pulled out half the dozen eye cream samples I collected. The one that stood out was the Bobbi Brown Hydrating Eye Cream. I've gone through two mini-sized offerings and am about to start using the third. I think this might be a purchase when I finish the other sample I have of this on hand. Another eye cream that's had me head over heels is the Organix Ever Radiant Coconut Milk Cucumber Anti-Puff Eye Cream. Sadly, I finished this long back and still haven't been able to find it in stores here. Lip treatments are things that I've been keeping my eye out for ever since I started my lipstick obsession midyear. The Nuxe Reve De Miel has become a staple ever since I got it months back. While I don't carry it around with me, it's the first and last thing to touch my lips every day. The yummy-smelling LUSH Bubblegum Lip Scrub has been a favorite to apply, and able to lick the excess sugar afterwards isn't bad at all. Last but not least, an old favorite in a new smell. I've been a long time fan of the Body Butters from the Body Shop, but one that I've already gone through a tub of and am working my way through the second is the Satsuma Body Butter. This thing smells amazing, even the flatmates commented on how good I was smelt. No, it's not that weird at all. 
This past year has been a busy year in terms of skincare. Are there any of your favorites that I missed out on and should try? 

Follow on Bloglovin

7 comments