Best Of 2013: The Hair Edition

27.12.13

I've been planning this post for quite a while, each time not knowing where to start. I've finally decided to categorize this into at least three parts: hair, skincare, and makeup. Most of these products won't be a stranger to those that have been following the blog for a while now, and I hate to sound repetitive. But they're just really my favorites, okay? Anyway. 
[Dove Dry Shampoo | Herbal Essence Fresh Balance Shampoo | Tangle Teezer | L'Oreal Elvive Extraordinary Oil | Bumble and bumble Brilliantine | Virgin Coconut Oil]
I've always been a fan of dry shampoo (chalk it up to being lazy and dreading to spend a good half hour on semidrying my hair each time). For the longest time I thought Batiste or Rene Futerer's offering was my holy grail. But the former left a white dusty layer while the later was pricier and harder to find. Then I stumbled upon the Dove Stylecare Dry Shampoo. It has an amazing smell, works great at removing the greasy feeling, gives volume, AND doesn't leave a white cast. What more can a girl ask for? The only downside to this is that it's ridiculously hard to track down in Boots because it's so popular. It took me weeks before I finally touched one of these bottles.
Herbal Essence and I are in a complicated relationship. Some of their shampoo/conditioners work amazing on my hair while others just dry it up. I also have a sentimental attachment to this brand as it was the one that I used while growing up. Enough of my relationship history with a hair brand, the Herbal Essence Fresh Balance Shampoo is a clarifying shampoo that I use once a week to remove the buildup of products and hard water residue. This was one of the miracle savers for my hair in the combat with hard water upon moving to London months back. It's the first clarifying shampoo I've tried so far so I can't say how it compares to others, but it's pretty darn brilliant at its job. I tend to go a bit heavy on the conditioner when using a clarifying shampoo and after searching high and low for an offering, I decided to revert back to mother nature and picked up a jar of Virgin Coconut Oil (review here). A thick lathering that sits for around 30 minutes before a thorough washing with the clarifying shampoo and it leaves me with softness that can compare with the fuzz of a baby duckling. 
I had a tangle teezer back home and loved it dearly. I was horrified to realize that I forgot to bring it to London and this Tangle Teezer was one of the first products I bought upon arrival. I used to hate brushing my hair, but a quick couple swipes and my hair goes from 'dreadful mess' to 'looking tame' in a matter of seconds. The morning haircare routine also involves a couple pumps of the L'Oreal Elvive Extraordinary Oil (review here) to smooth down the flyaways. I've been a fan of hair oils for a couple years now. An honorable mention goes to The Body Shop Grapeseed Glossing Serum that I finished up just before the cross-continental move. I've yet to repurchase this as I wanted to try out L'Oreal's offering, but both are spectacular products. The Bumble and Bumble Brilliantine (review here) has been a staple in the routine for months now and it's one product that I can't leave the flat without. The effect of this product is hard to describe, but in a nutshell: it tames flyaways, adds a bit of texture and a lot of shine. 
I've had to change up my hair routine quite a bit this year since I cut off near 20 cm before the cross-continental move (read about it here) that also had a terrible toll on the locks. But I can imagine myself using all of these products when my hair gets longer as it's been doing complete wonders for my hair now. What were your favorite hair products for 2013? Any I should put on my "to try" list for 2014? 

Follow on Bloglovin

9 comments