in rotation #18

11.1.15

A new year and a heck load of new products. Okay, well, not a heck load and only one thing was actually bought in this year. So basically, I lied. But let's just breeze over that and get to the products that have been accompanying me through the holidays, up to Scotland, and back to London for my last week of break (aka DEATH WEEK - the self-produced consequence of being less productive than a rock for the first 3 weeks of break). 

I made a firm resolution to not expand my base collection back in April, only breaking it once for the NARS Tinted Moisturizer. So when I was browsing the aisles of Boots with Jaye several months back (always a dangerous thing to do) and she was pushing the L'Oreal Nude Magique Eau De Tint (£9.99) at me with praises dazzled with fairy dust, I walked away. It was so hard, she could sell me a toilet brush and I'd want to buy ten. But fast forward several weeks and she popped this little frosted glass bottle in a penguin mug for my Christmas present. Needless to say, I'm in love. This is the only base that I've been using the past month. One of those arm workout types that require shaking before application, the liquid to powder formulation means that I can skip a step during my makeup routine. Lightweight, good wear-time, adorable bottle, and a good price tag to go along with it, if I knew it was going to be this good, I don't think I would've been able to walk away the first time round. 

Speaking of walking away, I can't seem to walk away from all the Naked palette dupes. After coveting MUA Undress Me last year (review here) and then gifting it away to a friend back in Taiwan because she loved it and I didn't use it as much as I thought I would, I'm back at it again with the newest dupe on the block. I've seen the Makeup Revolution Iconic 1 (£4) make its massive appearance on the blogsphere months ago - but I never had the urge to buy it. I was convinced that it was going to be another unnecessary buy and Makeup Revolution was probably another one of those 15-minutes of fame, hyped up PR brands. But during my trip to the mahoosive Superdrug on Princes Street up in Edinburgh, I had a massive swatch fest. I ended up walking away with this palette after my friend convinced me that I was better off 'spending four pounds on a palette I'd probably never use than covet the original that would cost me more just to collect dust'. I've been using it for the past 1.5 weeks or so and I'm quite smitten. I think I've stopped the most recent urge to go and get the original UD Naked palette. 

There was a period of three weeks where I was in a 'ALL THE CRAYON SHADOWS' phase and the Kiko Long Lasting Stick Eyeshadow in 05 (£6.90) was my pick for 80% of the time. A warm rosy-gold brown, it's the easiest for a quick scribble on the lids before blending out the edges to complete a nice, quick look. I do find that this line does tend to get a bit too glittery if too blended out so unless you want to resemble fairy dust, then blend with caution. 

Last but not least, as much as I love wearing a red lip, I'm still not a person that'll wear it every day. But red nails? Sure. I finally bought Revlon Red after umm-ing and ahh-ing over it for several weeks. I was pretty smitten with the red family that I already had, did I really need another red? Yes. There's a reason that this shade has been existing since the 1930s(?), despite the countless changes in trends. This is that classic hollywood red that I can't stop staring at. Plus, like the other Revlon nail polishes I've tried, the formula is fantastic. 

The school bells are going to start ringing again tomorrow, which means I'll have to start piling on the concealer like it's no one's business. What have you been coveting lately? 
With Love, 
Daphne x

PS. I have a fickle mind - I know I just changed the title of this series a couple months back, but now I'm tempted to end the whole series and start a new one. More of a monthly makeup bag thing - but (hopefully) with a snazzier title. This is mostly because I'm not getting that creative with my makeup contents as I used to and mainly stick to the same things each month. Thoughts? 

2 comments