new in & first impressions.

18.9.15

So guess who's done some shopping lately? I call it a post-dissertation celebration. Or a treat yourself. But I much prefer the former as it feels like I've justified the plunge in my bank account. It's also been a while since I properly sat down and played with makeup. Put the two together, and it was only natural that this post was conceived. 



So let's get the cheat item out of the way first. I bought the Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage Concealer (£26.50) when I handed in my dissertation start of the month. So while not technically a first impressions, but it's new enough that I thought it should be included in the post. This stuff is full coverage. It's the real deal. Is it drying? Yes. But does that diminish how awesome it is? No. Armed with a small detail brush and you have the perfect spot-concealer that could do without any powder over the top. I was sporting some old blemish scars on my chin the day I took this photo, but this concealer looks like I have scar-free even skin. 

Another concealer because I'm still looking for that perfect under eye concealer. I fell into the hype and purchased the Urban Decay Naked Skin Concealer (£17.50). First off, I can see why the shade range put people off as, let's just put it this way, it was a hot mess. I swatched both light-medium neutral and light-medium warm and there seemed to be a 4-shade difference between the two. I was lucky enough that the former was a pretty good undereye concealer shade for me. I topped this over a thin layer of Bobbi Brown Corrector, but you can still see a hint of my dark circles in the photos above. It's not necessarily full coverage, but I would think that you'd be able to build this up. I'll report back on that another time. But my conclusion for now? It's lightweight, comfortable to wear, and very brightening. I like it. 
I've been quite uninspired by mascara lately so I dug out my mini sample of the Too Faced Lashgasm Mascara (£16.50), not thinking too much of it. But I think I like it? I'm not completely sure yet. It's more of a volumising mascara, rather than lengthening. Or as the tagline suggestively says, it *is* the size of your lashes that matter. Putting aside Too Faced and their innuendos that I'm yet to get on board with, the volumising effect of this mascara isn't wild. It adds some volume, but I wasn't able to build it up to anything beyond a natural effect. It seems like a nice everyday mascara that doesn't seem to clump up, but it's nothing too special. Okay, so this appears to be discontinued. Uh, right.

It seems like every time I have a post stating a specific shade isn't something that I'm into, I will end up contradicting myself and buying all the shades that I previously said I would stay away from. First it was red lipstick, now it's the dark reds. It's like I have to low-key rebel against myself. The NARS Audacious Lipstick (£24) in Audrey, described by NARS as a 'red currant', is a beautiful brick red with a tinge of purple. I love this lipstick line and Audrey lived up to the name. It wears beautifully and holds up even after cups of coffee and constant snacking. 

Overall, it's been quite a successful shopping result. I'm still waiting for a mascara to inspire me - any recommendations are welcome. In fact, throw them all my way like you're sprinkling parmesan on pizza. Are you trying out any new products lately? 

With Love, 
Daphne x

15 comments