blanket season.

25.9.15

The nipping weather we've had here in London the past week has made it clear: summer has come and gone, blanket season has now taken over. It's the time of year where I start blasting Taylor Swift's Red album as I walk into Starbucks and resist ordering a Pumpkin Spice Latte because well, it's the seasonal drink but tastes awfully vile. I know, I probably just got myself outcasted from the blogging world. Again. Anywho. While I'm not entirely a seasonal person, there are certain shades that tend to slip into my makeup routine come autumn. 


More than a tinted moisturiser
I'm all about a light base, especially when the temperature threatens to melt off my makeup. But I find myself reaching for bases that offer a tint more coverage as I start pulling my jumpers out of the dark closet corners. While I was all about that full radiant glow in the warmer months; I tend to opt for more satin/natural finished foundations, but still maintaining that from within glow by layering them over brightening primers or even cream highlighters. 
My picks: Rimmel Match Perfection Foundation, L'Oreal Infallible Matte Foundation

The colour of the wind er, leaves
Think deep greens, golden bronzes, and burnt reds, the last hues of the leaves before they depart from their trees and go to rest. Colours such as deeper purples also tie in with the moodiness of the season and darker chocolate browns add that tinge of warmth. 
My picks: Clinique Black Honey, MAC Sumptuous Olive, MAC Woodwinked, Makeup Geek Cocoa Bear, MAC Stubborn Brown, Essence Berry Merry

Deeper lip colours
I've only recently started experimenting with darker lipsticks, but it's a look that I'm going to be sticking to for the next couple months. The bright corals and peach-based nudes have been swapped out for wine-based reds, the plums, and a deeper brown-based nude shade. Things go from young and spunky, to more moody and romantic; just slightly more sensational and 'curling up on the couch, mug in hand as I read this 600-page novel'. 
My picks: MAC Twig, NARS Audrey, Estee Lauder Unattainable, Seventeen Rule Breaker

A warmer scent
The crisp scents that accompanied me through the hot summer days are now hibernating as deeper and warmer scents take their position for the upcoming months. Like my lipstick rotation, scents that bring warmth and the illusion of being a blanket burrito 24/7 have their game face on when the temperature drops. The moody, romantic, sensational feeling is also captured by the scents that are deeper and easily illustrate the picture of a woman in a wine-coloured gown and a pearl necklace awaiting to alight from a grand staircase. I might have been reading too many period stories lately.
My picks: Jo Malone Wood Sage and Sea Salt, Elie Saab


Autumn might be one of my favourite seasons. Maybe because it's the most poetically tragic three months as, well, everything is dying. But it's also one of the most beautiful scenes that nature paints for us. Plus, the comeback of blanket scarves, boots, and flannel shirts? I'll be happy to put up with the pumpkin-spiced everything craze. Do you rotate your makeup? What are some of the products that you start pulling out when the weather starts getting nippy? 

With Love, 
Daphne x

24 comments