the 'autopilot' makeup products

28.4.16


You know those days when you seem to be running on autopilot as your brain refuses to function even after a dangerously large cup of coffee, or you're too distracted to put focus on the makeup process. It doesn't necessarily mean that you need to cut down the routine to fit a 5 minute time frame, it just means that you're unconsciously reaching for the products that won't require any brainpower for the whole process. I made note of the products piled on my table after an autopilot morning and while most of these no fail products won't come as a surprise, I still thought it'd be interesting to show you the ones I tend to reach for when my brain decides that it just can't be bothered. 

My base choice shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone that's been around these corners for a while, but there seems to be a gravity force around the NARS Tinted Moisturiser (review) that sucks me in every time. It's the Bermuda Triangle in my foundation collection, people. It's one of those do it all bases and will not fail you no matter how you choose to apply it. 

Under eye concealing is something that I do whenever I wear makeup and the Rimmel Wake Me Up Concealer is the one I always reach for when I have a temporary brain lapse. It's brightening and has just enough coverage to highlight the under eye area while still looking quite natural with a tint of shadow showing through. 

I tend to go for a simple eye look on these days, with either the options of roughly lining my eyes with a large bronze eye crayon, like the Rimmel Scandaleyes Eyeshadow Stick in Bad Girl Bronze, and then smudging it out either with a pencil brush or just a simple q-tip, depending on what I have on hand. 

If I'm feeling a little more sophisticated and less 'low key grunge', then the Urban Decay Naked Basics Palette is my go-to. Mixing two midtone shades to slightly define the crease before mixing the only shimmery shade and the other two lighter shades to brighten up the lid area. I usually either press the black eyeliner into the lash line or use a brown eyeliner, such as MAC Powerpoint Eyeliner in Stubborn Brown, before going with a couple coats of mascara. 

Last but not least. I was more than a bit surprised at my lip product choices when I was making note of the products I reach for when my brain is boycotting. I was sure that it would be entirely of MAC lipsticks (seeing as they're the only part of my makeup that's remotely organised). However, it seems that I have a soft spot for my drugstore buddies. Most probably because they're the more hydrating options in my lipstick collection (explanation here). Anyway. Rather than a bright bold lip, I seem to be a lot more sensible in my autopilot mode, reaching for shades that'll fall under the neutral zone. Catrice In a RosegardenEssence Natural Beauty, and Rimmel 08 (all swatches here) were all dug out of my jacket pockets, which shows how much I rely on these lip shades when my brain decides to call it quits that day. 


I'm sure we've all had those days when your brain just decides to turn off but life just doesn't allow you to roll around in bed all day while watching reruns of your favourite show. As much as I like makeup, it's not necessarily the bit that I want to use the little amount of brain power I have working for me that day. In times like these, autopilot mode means there are certain products that have a stronger gravitational force. What are some of your 'autopilot, no brainer' products? 
With Love, 
Daphne x

0 comments