tips to curb reckless shopping (and save ££!)

3.4.16

Once upon a time, I was one of those people that would walk into the drugstore for a pack of q-tips, walk out with a couple new makeup products, later realise I still didn't get the cotton buds, repeat cycle a couple times before giving up and texting a family member/friend to help me grab some q-tips when they're at the drugstore. 

While I can't say that I'm not one for impulse buys yet, I've gotten a lot better at smart spending the last year or so. I'm proud to say that I'll be able to walk into department and drugstores alike and browse the makeup aisles without making a purchase I'll regret within 24 hours. I've learned some methods to stop blind reckless spending during the process, which will inevitably save you a lot of pennies, who doesn't like that, right? 



write down every single thing you spent money on: I find this is the most effective method for me. Writing down that fourth fancy coffee of the week and seeing exactly just how ridiculously unnecessary and expensive it adds up to is the bucket of iced water I need to snap me back into the reality of how sadly poor I am

go through everything in your stash: Whether it be clothes, makeup, shoes, or whatever - go through every single item you own. I've lost count the amount of times I've bought a new lipstick/eyeshadow only to realise I already had 6 similar shades. Being conscious of what you already have and the amount of it, will likely pause you the next time you're on the verge of impulse buying that mauvey pink lipstick. 

sit on it: Put it down, yes, put down that eyeshadow palette that's in your hands right now and walk out. Go on with your life, eat dinner, read a book, and watch the latest episode of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., continue your day as if you never encountered that eyeshadow palette in the first place. 144 hours later, if the palette is still haunting you at 2 P.M., then by all means, go back to the shop and see if it's still in stock. Some people tell you to make note of the product in your phone before walking out empty handed, but don't do it. If it's something that you truly need want, you won't need a reminder to remember. 

one in one out: A pretty straightforward one - stick to the 'one in one out' rule and you'll more likely to be able to control your wallet and the size of your collection/closet. Allow yourself a cheat every now and then, but careful, they should be exceptions and not the norm. 

how many XXX can I buy with this lipstick/jumper?: A lipstick shade that I *might* use or 7 cups of coffee? I think the answer is clear

wait for it: Chances are, you'll be able to get it on sale if you wait long enough. Every penny saved, right? 

It's easy to use the smallest reasons to binge shop, but if we're honest with ourselves, how often do we end up thinking that the money we impulsively threw at capitalism was worth it? I'm not saying don't ever do therapy/celebratory shopping, I'm saying be smart about it. What are some of your tips when it comes to curbing reckless shopping? 
With Love, 
Daphne x

0 comments