nonsense: my favourite kpop english lyrics

24.1.16


I'm going to say this first as I can already see the potential backlash this post might bring. I am in no ways making fun of the people that wrote these lyrics, nor do I have any ill intention of mocking people's language abilities. Hell, I'm not even able to English nor Chinese properly most of the time. 

I've listened to K-pop, or Korean pop music, along the years here and there, but it wasn't until the past year or so did I develop quite the fondness for the genre. I've always listened to foreign music, but Korea has really nailed it for me. Especially since finding out that one of the South Korean military tactics of dealing with their uh, gangsta neighbouring country is to blast K-pop at them through loudspeakers. I am way too easily amused, and when there's one line of English amongst a sea of Korean lyrics that I don't understand, well, it stands out. I've rounded up my favourite ones, the lyrics that make me replay the whole song just to be amused by the two seconds. 



"It's timeless just like plastic, it'll never change cuz it's classic' -Classic by Wooyoung, Suzy, and Taecyeon 
I have a serious obsession with Taecyeon from 2PM. He looks all hot and dangerous in their music videos, making me wonder if I'm still stuck in the 'bad boy' phase I briefly went through when I was young and naive. In reality, this boy is a 5 year old child that's stuck in a really fit adult body. Growing up in America and now getting his masters degree, the boy is smart and speaks at least 3 languages. He also writes his own lyrics at times. So really, I wonder what was going on in this boy's head when he wrote these lyrics??? Love, plastic, and classic are not words that I would put together. But for some absurd reason, this seems to be perfectly logic in this child's brain. I keep calling him 'child' but he's 3 years older than I am.

"You be my curry, I'll be your rice." -Daddy by Psy (ft. CL) ....but what if I don't like curry?? What if I'm not fond of rice????? I'm Asian, yes, I'm also allowed to not be fond of rice alright??? 

"Hey, where'd you get that body from? I got it from my daddy." -Daddy by Psy (ft. CL) Slightly weird, and also slightly disturbing. But damnit, I love this song and the silly dance. 

"Oh my god, she is so fine." -Hot by 2PM It's not the lyrics, but rather how they break up the beat and sentence for it (1:32 into the video). I just can't. 

"Ain't nobody fresh than my true swag." -True Swag by Jun K. I'm not going to lie, I had second hand embarassment when I first heard this song. It took me several tries before I could make it past the first couple sentences. It's a catchy song, but I cringe at the title and just about every english sentence in it. 

"Francis Bacon in the kitchen." -Zutter by GD and T.O.P. This sentence might make sense if I understood the Korean following it, but I laughed when I heard this line the first time. 

"Ready or not, yeah, we don't give a what" -Bang Bang Bang by Big Bang I'm 99.6% sure they don't give a what because they couldn't give a f*ck. 



I'm quite fond of Korean music. I think they bring a certain kind of artistic weirdness that doesn't exist in other country genres. I only listen to a couple of groups/bands(?) but I'm always willing to expand. Do you listen to kpop? What are your favourite bands? Also tell me your favourite lyrics if you have them. 
With Love, 
Daphne x

0 comments