three drugstore foundations.

18.12.15

I'm a high-end foundation girl at heart. Having sensitive skin and a history of bad colour matches, I'm willing to invest time and money when finding the right base - that said, there have been three foundations from the drugstore that have stolen my heart. 

I had lost all faith in affordable bases, but then I came across the Rimmel Match Perfection Foundation (£7.99). Coming in an impressive 12 shades, this offering from the drugstore has a colour range even more impressive than some higher end offerings. This is a medium coverage, satin finish foundation that has a pump included with the glass packaging. It wears really well throughout the day, but I would still recommending a light dusting of powder if you tend to get shiny throughout the day. 

Liquid to powder foundations were the rage for a while, but I wasn't that eager to jump on the bandwagon when the drugstores came out with alternatives. It was a good thing that I finally decided to try out the L'Oreal Nude Magique Eau De Tint (£9.99). Let's back up a bit - what is a liquid to powder foundation? This means that yes, it is a liquid foundation, but when it sets, it'll dry down to a powder finish. This means that chances are, you won't have to take the extra step to set your foundation. Not back to the product. This is definitely a lighter coverage foundation, and has a skin-like satin finish, despite the powder results. Shake the bottle before application to ensure the formula is properly mixed. It's really liquidy, so I tend to block my finger at the opening, rather than the usual 'back of the hand' pouring. I like using this with fingers or a fluffy brush to blend it in. One thing to note is that it'll cling to dry flakey bits.

Last but not least, my latest love, but quickly a firm favourite no matter high end or drugstore. The L'Oreal Infallible Matte Foundation (£7.99) is a high coverage foundation with a matte finish. It's a mousse like texture that almost reminds me of the pre-reformulated Laura Mercier Silk Creme Foundation. My favourite way to apply this is overtop a cream highlighter or brightening primer and with a damp sponge - it's less matte and more natural this way. This foundation looks absolutely flawless in photos (I'm wearing it in this post) and will definitely hold up through the day, looking the same way and maybe even better as the hours pass. Coming in a squeezy tube, this is my favourite kind of packaging as it's lighter and convenient for travel. 

It's easy to forget that the drugstore has foundations that can hold their own against expensive offerings. These aren't only my top three affordable bases, they're some of my most reached for no matter the price tag. Do you tend to gravitate towards affordable bases or more likely to invest? If the former, which is your favourite base from the drugstores? 
With Love, 
Daphne x


Where to buy in Taiwan: lookfantastic.com (Rimmel)

0 comments