this or that: NARS tinted moisturizer v. Dior BB Cream

17.7.15

Once upon a time, I was all for the Laura Mercier Silk Creme, Estee Lauder Double Wear full-coverage camp. But the clock ticked forward and I've started to ditch the heavier bases for tinted moisturisers and lighter bases. Both the NARS Tinted Moisturizer (£29) and the Dior BB Cream (£30) have strong supporting camps so I thought I'd pit the two together and see which one comes out top dog.


Price
Dior BB Cream: Priced at £30 for 30ml worth of product, the Dior BB Cream definitely isn't a cheap base. But a huge chunk of the price is paying for the brand name - I mean, how impressive does it sound when you tell people that you're wearing Dior? 

NARS Tinted Moisturizer: At £29, it's only ever so slightly in price compared to the Dior offering. But instead of 30ml, you get an extra 20ml worth of product - which works out to 58p/ml. I use roughly the same amount of product when it comes to both offerings so the NARS offering is considerably cheaper when it comes to slapping things on my face. 


Shade Range
Dior BB Cream: It is almost unacceptable that there are only 4 shades in the line. I am in shade 2 in the range and for this one at least, it leans more pink toned. I can make this work when I'm not tanned, but it's still a little bit too pink for me. For reference, I have a neutral, leaning slightly cool undertone. 

NARS Tinted Moisturizer: At 11 shades, the NARS line is able to cater to both ends of the spectrum, with shades leaning more yellow and neutral than the Dior offerings. I have the shade Light 3 - Groenland now that I have a bit of colour. 
 
Packaging
Dior BB Cream: Let's take a moment to gush at the elegance that's exhuming from the Dior packaging. Lean and graceful, this is like the TARDIS as you wouldn't think that it holds 30ml worth of product with that exterior. But putting aside how beautiful the peach-pink tube with the silver wording is, there is a convenient pump underneath the lid that dispenses just the right amount of product. The sturdy and convenient packaging makes this easy to take along when you're country hopping as you don't have to worry that the container will break, or the lid will come off and product will get everywhere. 

NARS Tinted Moisturizer: With the signature matte black packaging and the logo slapped on the tube, the NARS tinted moisturiser also comes with the usual 'why are there fingerprints everywhere' problem that all NARS products seemingly have. Now if you're someone that likes your makeup to be impeccable and holding up to a CSI examination, this would not be for you. If, on the other hand, you're like me, this really wouldn't make a difference. While this doesn't come with a pump, the squeezy tube makes it easy to control the amount of product that you're dispensing, although, again, not the cleanest method as there will be goopy tinted moisturiser streaks around the opening. But just like the Dior offering, this is another product that I don't have to worry about exploding when I'm already worrying if my plane will be on time. 


Formula
Dior BB Cream: With an SPF10, the Dior BB Cream is a slightly thicker consistency than most light weight bases. But that does not mean it is hard to apply. I like to use my fingers as I find the warmth really helps to spread and blend the base into my skin. It feels light on the skin but you definitely know that you're wearing a base. The finish of the product is absolutely stunning - this is a BB cream that is packed with coverage and a skin-like finish. Unless I have a fresh angry active spot, I find that using this base alone is able to diminish most of the scarring I have. 

NARS Tinted Moisturizer: The NARS offering is armed with a higher SPF of 30, but the texture of the formula is considerably thinner. Again, using fingers, I apply this like I would a normal moisturiser. If you have oily skin, I would skip the normal moisturiser and just use this as the formula is considerably hydrating. Sometimes I forget that I'm wearing this as a base because it's so light on the skin, which means that although still more coverage than most tinted moisturisers, it cannot compete with the Dior BB Cream in terms of hiding old scarring. The NARS Tinted Moisturiser is considerably fragranced, just something to keep in mind if you're iffy about things like that. (Note: I'm someone that has quite sensitive skin to fragrance but this hasn't broken me out. *knocks on wood*) 


This or That?
I love both of these bases and use them on a regular basis. Both of these bases are great for all skin types, although I would still suggest a dusting of powder for those that tend to get shiny throughout the day. If you're someone that is looking for a lightweight base and have a lot of scarring you are insecure about or just want to cover up but don't have the time for concealer, I would suggest the Dior BB Cream if you can find one in your shade. If you travel often and worry about products exploding in your makeup bag, again, I would recommend the Dior BB Cream. But personally, if I had to pick between the two, I would definitely go for the NARS Tinted Moisturiser as it tends to be better value, the shade range is beautiful, and the higher SPF saves me from the sun as I forget to put on sunscreen 90% of the time.



Have you tried these bases before? Do you fall under the NARS camp or Dior? If there are any other products you would like to see in a 'this or that' format, just let me know! 
With Love, 
Daphne x

26 comments