the summer every day essentials

21.8.14

Oh summer, I'm in a love/hate relationship with thee. On one hand, the sun is glorious. On the other, well, if you've spent summer in a big city in tropical Asia, you'll realize living in a sauna everyday isn't as romantic as it seems. I have a selection of products that will help me get through these unbearable days while looking like I've somewhat put in some effort. 

I've been using The Body Shop Tea Tree Cool and Creamy Wash (£5) for more than a quarter of the year now and I can't imagine a better facial wash - budget or expensive. Not only does it help settle the blemishes that are always itching to kick up a party when hot humid Taiwanese summer rolls around, the cool tingle is the best way to wake me up in the morning. 

I skimp down on a lot of things during summer - which means I'm terribly skipping all the skincare routine and only using the NARS Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturizer SPF 30 in Groenland (£29). Moisturizing, SPF, decent enough coverage (for a tinted moisturizer anyway) and easy to apply, no wonder it's been the only base I've been using since purchase. 

Waterproof anything is essential when I'm going to outside for even 10 minutes in 35 degree days with 85% humidity - yes, eighty-five per cent humidity. The Maybelline The Rocket Mascara Waterproof (£7.99) was one of my favourite mascaras from last summer. Fast forward twelve months, while I can't say this is my favourite anymore, it's one of the few mascaras that live up to the waterproof claim while not irritating my eyes. Another waterproof product that's definitely top of its game, the Anastasia Dipbrow Pomade (£15) that's able to withstand all and still keep my brows looking amazing after 6 hours in an everyday sauna. 

Intense humidity equals Ms. Frizzle-esque hair. Not cool. To keep things looking less like I've been electrocuted and more 'I actually tried to deal with my hair before leaving the house', an old favourite combo of John Frieda Frizz Ease Daily Miracle Leave-In Conditioner (£3.93) and Bumble and Bumble Brilliantine (review) (£19). With the nourishment and heat-protecting benefits of the former, the Bb. offering gives extra shine to the hair while holding the frizzy bits in place. 

Last, not at all glamorous, but probably the most essential when braving the oven-esque summers. Deodorant. I'm not partial to any particular brand but the Dove Go-Fresh Cucumber Anti Perspirant Spray (£2.75) is one that I'm probably going to repurchase once I run out. The compressed spray means that I don't have to, how to I elegantly put this, stick the product to my armpits. Plus the scent is fresh and uplifting, perfect to start the day or refreshing post-workout. 

How's summer like for you? I can't wait to get back to London - where people call 28 degrees a heat wave. You have no idea how lucky you guys are. 
With Love, 
Daphne x

16 comments