[the review] wet n wild megalast lipsticks (+swatches)

27.3.16

(L-R:Just Peachy, Rose-bud, Wine Room, Spiked with Rum, Sugar Plum Fairy, Cherry Bomb) 
If there's an award for a drugstore lipstick that's insanely hyped up and relatively hard to get outside of North America, it would probably be the Wet n Wild Megalast Lipsticks. Retailing for less than the price of a fancy coffee, this drugstore matte lipstick has made its round on the beautysphere and it's influence is still strong. I managed to get my hands on several of these lipsticks last year and it's about time I dropped my two cents in the ocean of reviews on this line. 

(R-L:Just Peachy, Rose-bud, Wine Room, Spiked with Rum, Sugar Plum Fairy, Cherry Bomb)
Overview: If I had to sum up these lipsticks it would be - matte, insanely pigmented, and horrible packaging. With 26 shades, there probably isn't a drugstore lip product line that has a more expansive colour range. It has variations of nudes, pinks, reds, berries, and your deep dark vampy shades. The formula is definitely a matte - I'd liken them almost to the formula of MAC Retro Matte lipsticks. Some people might find them too drying, but while I don't have that problem, I would most definitely use an ultra hydrating lip balm the day I know I'm going to be wearing this lipstick. This means that, true to the name, they won't budge after application. As the formula is quite dry, they do tend to tug at the lips a bit upon application. The colour is opaque in one coat (as seen from the swatches above). I've worn the line up to 8 hours, fading at the 6 hour mark. It fades evenly and will leave a stain behind so touch ups are rarely needed. 

If there was one thing that reflected the price of this lipstick line, it would be the packaging. I'm not talking about the aesthetics, I'm talking about the practicality. Under no circumstances are these handbag lipsticks - unless you want a reason to trash the inside of your bag and destroy your lipstick in the process. The cheap plastic cap will fall off, it falls off even if it's rolling around in my makeup bag. Another thing is that the lipstick doesn't completely wind down, so unless you're one of those fully concentrated, hands insanely steady people, chances are the lid of your lipstick will be coloured with product. But as high maintenance as the packaging is - the quality of the lipstick itself is still worth the hassle and more. 

903C Just Peachy: This is a light warm peachy nude that would work really well on anyone with fair to medium skin. I'm more prone to reach for these colours in the spring, but I could see it working year round. 

904B Rose Bud: If I had to pick favourites, then it would be this shade. As the name suggests, it's a beautiful light dusty rose shade. It's muted enough to be natural looking, but still adds some colour into the look. 

906D Wine Room: Now if I had to pick my favourite shade name, then the crown would go to Wine Room. Contrary to most shades that have 'wine' in the name, this shade isn't as dark and burgundy as the name would suggest. It's quite similar to Rose Bud in the sense that it's a rosey mauve shade, but just a couple shades darker. I'd categorise this as a 'high key neutral, low key dramatic' shade. It's one that I reach for when I want a little more colour but still want to keep the whole look quite toned down. 

915B Spiked with Rum: I'd describe this shade as a muted brick red with tints of brown. I don't reach for this shade as much as I thought I would as I think it pulls a little bit too brown on me for my liking. I think this is a shade that warmer skintones would get along with better, but I still like it when I'm feeling particularly 'grunge' that day. 

908C Sugar Plum Fairy: Probably one of the most famous shades from the line, this is a colour dupe for MAC Rebel. A dark berry shade, this one is absolutely perfect for the colder months. The purple in the berry will also perk up the sallow winter 'yuck' skin. 

918D Cherry Bomb: I bought this shade when I first started dipping my toes in the darker, vampy hues last autumn. Often mentioned as the lovechild of MAC Diva - a deep, dark burgundy shade, I figured that I might as well try this shade out. Even if I hated it, it'd only mean one less trip to Starbucks. It's a good thing that I did that as while I quite like the shade, I just don't see myself wearing such dark colours enough to justify paying beyond what I did. That said, I especially love wearing this shade when I'm wearing all black and revisiting my younger emo days. 


I purchased the Wet n Wild Megalast Lipsticks off of Beauty Joint, which does international shipping at a low price. These lipsticks are amazing and probably the best 'true matte' formula in the drugstores. I have my eye on a couple more shades, so who knows, I might end up doing a 'I totally need more lipsticks' delusional midnight order some time. 

Have you tried the Wet n Wild Megalast Lipsticks? If so, what are your favourite shades? 
With Love, 
Daphne x
Related posts: MAC Lipstick Collection (+Swatches)

0 comments