february favourites 2016.

4.3.16


February started out good as I sinned with gluttony. And then it sucked. Starting from delayed payments and pesky technological hardware problems, everything was wrapped up with the perfect bow the last week of the month as I became a walking bio hazard. Actually, walking is definitely too generous of a term. I was more like a biohazard ball rolling around and moaning in agony. Y'know what? Nope. Couldn't even roll around. Rolling meant the possibility of triggering this weird extra gag reflex I managed to get with the first wave of the flu, inducing the urge to uh, haul out my stomach contents. Except I couldn't. Trust me, that's more painful than the alternative. So really, I was more like a bio hazardous...log. How about THAT as a toxic source for the next superhero movie? And yes, I did say first wave. I somehow managed to not only get both waves of the flu (one being a super virus???), I also won an ear infection, my period wanting in on the fun and coming a couple weeks early, and a stupid cough with a blocked sinus that's not even supposed to be part of the flues that are going around. It wasn't fun at all. In fact, I'm pretty sure I'm sick of my bed now after being bedridden for the past week. 

Anywho, on happier notes cuz I know how to push and pull like that, makeup was pretty much absent the last week of the shortest month. BUT even while things were kept relatively simple the first three weeks, it's not to say that there weren't some outstanding products that made the pick.

I've been using the Dior BB Cream on the days that I'm not patting away with my innisfree Water Glow Cushion Foundation. I've been lazy in reaching for brushes and it just so happens that this is one of those bases that look the best when you use your fingers to really press in the product. As opposed to using a brush or sponge. The coverage is also quite nice, covering my 'post-gluttony' spots just enough that I don't feel compelled to reach for a concealer. It's slightly on the heavier side compared to the other bases I have on a regular rotation, but it's just enough for when I need to feel 'extra put together' but not wanting to resort to an actual foundation.

I've been trying out the innisfree Eco Brow Pencil the past month and I really really like it. It has my favourite wide tip that fills in my brows a lot quicker than using a skinny pencil. The shade isn't as dark as my now-most-likely-discontinued love, the Etude House Drawing Brow Pencil, but it works a lot better now that I've stripped down the amount of makeup I'm wearing. Or rather, the visual amount. 

I've been reaching for my old love of the Urban Decay Naked Basics Palette the past month. I've deepened the dent in the cool grey shade of Naked 2 by using it to do some simple shading in the eye crease and hamster cheeks. A little goes a long way in hiding the evidence of binge eating. And as I've also been quite lazy in actually reaching for products, the only shimmer shade, Venus, also acts as a great highlighter. 

I've been hitting myself ever since I tried the YSL Babydoll Mascara. I almost hate myself for it. It's such a flipping good mascara. So good, in fact, I literally had to delete the censored word and change it to a much more children friendly one. I have a potty mouth that can't be stopped. So why do I hate myself for it? I am adamantly against paying more than drugstore prices for a flippin' mascara. I have no qualms with people that do, mind you. But mascaras are one of those things that I am not able to convince myself to splurge on. Kinda like toilet paper - not that I'm likening the two in terms of...well, whatever. While this is probably hands down, one of the best mascaras I've tried, I'm probably only going to purchase this if I'm as loaded as Taylor Swift.  

We're at the ends of my monthly favourites, and I know, NO LIPSTICK???? Shock horror. Well, hold your horses people cuz I'm bringing another shock factor - a skincare favourite. I've been falling head over heels for the Botanic Farm Natural Energy Sheet Mask. These are probably my favourite of the various Korean sheet masks I've tried. My skin always looks much more hydrated, plump, glowy, and repaired after using a sheet mask. 

I've never been happier to say goodbye to a month before. February, you had your moments, but adios and see you never. That said, it's also been a month with some great new products that I'm testing out so keep your eyes peeled. Things seem promising. What were some of your favourites from the month of 29 days?  
With Love, 
Daphne x

0 comments