may favourites 2015.

5.6.15

May has been the month of intense procrastination, being buried in papers and books, stressing out over not remembering enough for exams, and living in sweats. I can count the number of times I've been dressed appropriately enough for public presentation the past month and slapping on some makeup so people can stop telling me that I look tired.


I have a very dull complex at the moment - both from lack of sunlight and a terribly wonky diet. So on days when I have to go out and remember what social interaction is, I always apply the Benefit That Gal Brightening Primer (£22) under foundation - or more correctly, tinted moisturizer. This doesn't help make my base last but it does wonders in perking up the dull, sallow shade I call my complexion at the moment. Plus, it smells delicious.

When I do put on makeup, things are usually kept really simple: base, heck ton of concealer, heck ton of mascara and potentially a bright lip. For the heck ton of mascara, I've been putting down my beloved Maybelline Lash Sensation Mascara and opting for the Catrice Better Than False Lash Volume Mascara. The offering from Catrice gives just enough drama while keeping things really natural - perfect for not overdoing it when that's about the only eye makeup I have on. Plus, it doesn't clump when I go to town with it so always a bonus when I lose count of how many coatings I've applied. 

I've been painting my nails quite regularly the past month - it just gives me a period when I can sit down and properly do nothing but focusing on painting my nails. Prison architecture, drug regulation systems, the symbolic value of punishment can all be put to the side as I try to keep within the lines as I paint my nails a bold blue hue with Revlon Colorstay Gel Envy Nail Polish in Wild Card  (£6.99). The shine factor on this is amazing, plus the fact that it lasted 5 days before chipping makes it a lot easier to justify painting my nails when I pretty much live in my school sweatshirt the past month. 

Lastly, I've always had difficulty sleeping and it always get worse when I'm stressed out. I initially bought the This Works Deep Sleep Pillow Spray (£16) skeptic of the effects but what did I have to lose? I've used this a couple of months now, while I can't say that it's a miracle worker and I've not had insomnia since, this pillow spray does help me relax faster and cuts down the time I need to fall asleep from hours to 45 minutes or so. I'm going to continue to use this, but if it's the actual effect from the product or a placebo effect, I'm afraid I won't be able to pinpoint that for you. 

I'm someone that studies with headphones in and music blasting, so I thought I'd throw in a couple of the songs I've been listening to on repeat before I end this post. Earning a lot of attention at the Eurovision this year, I had the pleasure of watching Il Volo perform when they toured to Taiwan some years back. Listen with caution as you will fall in love with their voices - and their songs are the kind that you have to listen to at a volume that will leave you deaf at 30. I'm partial to Il Mondo but these three guys definitely took Europe by storm with Grande Amore. Other than that, some songs I've been listening to are Maybe (Lily Kershaw),  Not Every Picture Means Goodbye (Sebalter), and Loser and Bae Bae both by Korean group, Big Bang.

Please tell me your May has been more eventful than mine! What have you been loving the past month? 
With Love, 
Daphne x

16 comments